[TCCM] Events for the Week of 3/19

Joe Pokora jpokora at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 21 12:02:22 EST 2006

This is MIT's Tech Catholic Community's (TCC) weekly email.
To unsubscribe use the list web page:
For up-to-date information: http://web.mit.edu/tcc/www/

---------------------------
TCC Events for the Week of 3/19
---------------------------

- Contemplation and Education
- Holy Week
- Eucharistic Ministers are Needed
- Lent

- Monday Nights
- TCC's "RCIA/Confirmation" Group
- Graduate Student Scripture Study
- Undergraduate Scripture Study
- Interdenominational Scripture Study
- Eucharistic Exposition- Weekday Masses
- Getting Married?
- Baptizing a Child?/Becoming a Godparent?

- Volunteering?

- MIT and YCT Catholic Connection
- Lentent Reflection

---------------------------
Sign-ups and one-time events
---------------------------

- Contemplation and Education
A Talk by Father Thomas Keating
Wednesday, March 22, 7pm at MIT (room 10-250)
Father Thomas Keating, OSCO is founder of the centering prayer movement
and contemplative outreach and former chair of the monastic
inter-religious dialogue. He is one of the world’s most reverend
teachers of the contemplative and mystical dimensions of Christianity.
At the age of Eighty-one, he continues to be a prominent voice in the
Christian Centering Prayer Movement through the organization he founded.
Contemplative Outreach is an international network committed to renewing
the contemplative dimension of the Gospel in daily life. Father Keating
was Superior of St. Benedict's Monastery of Snowmass, Colorado, and the
Abbot of St. Joseph's Abbey of Spencer, Massachusetts. His books include
Open Mind, Open Heart, They Mystery of Christ, Invitation to Love,
Intimacy with God, The Human Condition, The Better Part, and The Fruits
and Gifts of the Spirit.

- Holy Week
*Palm Sunday - April 9 - Masses @ 9:30, 1:00 & 5:00
*Lenten Reconciliation/Confession Service - April 11  @ 7:00pm
*Holy Thursday - April 13: Mass of the Lord's Supper @ 7:30
*Good Friday - April 14: The Lord's Passion @ 3:00
*Easter Vigil Mass - April 15 @ 8:30
*Easter Morning Mass - April 16 @ 9:30

- Eucharistic Ministers are Needed
Ministers are needed for 1:00 and 5:00 masses.
Contact Joel <helton at mit.edu>

- Lent
LENT IS A FORTY DAY PERIOD SPIRITUAL PREPARATION FOR THE CELEBRATION OF
EASTER. THE 40-DAY PERIOD BEGINS ON ASH WEDNESDAY AND EXTENDS, WITH THE
OMISSION OF SUNDAYS, TO THE DAY BEFORE EASTER. AT ONE POINT IN OUR
CHURCH HISTORY THE 40 DAYS BEFORE EASTER WERE THE FINAL STAGE OF
PREPARATION FOR THOSE ABOUT TO BE BAPTIZED. THE REST OF THE CHURCH
PRAYED AND FASTED IN SOLIDARITY WITH THEM.

TODAY, WITH THE PRESENCE IN MOST CATHOLIC PARISHES OF A GROUP OF ADULTS
VISIBLY MAKING READY TO RECEIVE THE SACRAMENTS OF INITIATION AT THE
EASTER VIGIL, LENT HAS REGAINED THAT "BAPTISMAL" EMPHASIS. WE STILL CAN
DECIDE ON A LENTEN OBSERVANCE—FASTING, PRAYER, ALMSGIVING—BUT WE DO IT
WITH THE PURPOSE OF RECALLING OUR BAPTISM, OF DEEPENING OUR COMMITMENT
TO CHRIST. AND WE DO IT IN SOLIDARITY WITH THOSE PREPARING TO BE
BAPTIZED OR RECEIVED INTO THE CHURCH.

THE READINGS FOR EACH SUNDAY IN LENT HAVE BEEN CHOSEN BY THE CHURCH TO
RELATE TO THE JOURNEY OF FAITH EACH OF US UNDERTAKES, TO OUR BASIC
BAPTISMAL CALL TO ATTEMPT TO LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHRIST-LIKE WAYS.

---------------------------
Ongoing Events
---------------------------

- Monday Nights
** Mar 20 - Dinner & Fr. Bill Carrol (Why Seeing is not Believing)
** Mar 27 - Spring Break (No Gathering)
** Apr  3 - Dinner & Fr. Gerard Dorgan (Priesthood and Christian Artwork)
Contact Ana Posada <aposada at mit.edu> for details and programming ideas.

- TCC's "RCIA/Confirmation" Group
Gathers Sunday at 4:00 pm in W11 Board Room. Stop by if you have
questions about adult Baptism or Confirmation.

- Graduate Student Scripture Study - RESUMES 2/22
Wednesday 6:30 - 8:00pm at St. Mary's Rectory
Join us this semester as we discuss the Gospel of Mark with Father Fred,
the pastor of St Mary's parish!  All you need is your bible!  St. Mary's
is at 134 Norfolk Street, near Central Square.  We will meet at 6:15pm
in Lobby 7 to walk over together.
Email e_basha at mit.edu for more information

- Undergraduate Scripture Study
This Bible Study meets on Thursdays at 8:30 in McCormick. It usually
runs for about an hour. The format of the study is basically reading,
meditating on, and discussing the Gospel for the following Sunday's Mass
during the first part, and then either listening to or reading something
of Catholic interest and discussing it.
Mailing list: compass-pe
For more info contact: joel_f at mit.edu

- Interdenominational Scripture Study
Interested in discussing Scripture with other Catholics and non-Catholic
Christians? This study chooses topics in advance about which Catholics
and other Christians usually disagree and then seeks to come to a better
understanding of these through Scripture as well as readings from the
early Church Fathers. It meets every other Thursday in W11 starting 10/6
from 7 -8:30pm.
Mailing list: tcc-ibs
For more information contact: joel_f at mit.edu

- Eucharistic Exposition
Join us Tuesday and Wednesday at 7:00pm for Eucharistic Adoration in the
Chapel.
For more information contact: mkward at mit.edu

- Weekday Masses
Join us for Mass Tuesday & Friday from 12:05 to ~12:35 in the Chapel.

- Getting Married?
Congratulations! Please talk to Fr. Paul as soon as possible to arrange
weddings here at MIT or to complete marriage prep and paperwork for
weddings happening outside of our community.

- Baptizing a Child?/Becoming a Godparent?
TCC loves to welcome children! Contact Fr. Paul to arrange baptisms here
at MIT or to receive help preparing for the sacrament outside of our
community.

---------------------------
Volunteer Opportunities
---------------------------

- Volunteering?
Contact F. Paul @ catholic at mit.edu for suggestions and listings!
"The Christ Connection": A part-time volunteer directory of
opportunities in the Boston area
"Connections 2oo4": A longer-term volunteer directory of opportunities
in the U.S. and abroad

---------------------------
Non-TCC Events (Catholic and Interdenominational)
---------------------------

- MIT and YCT Catholic Connection
Join a catholic message board with students from MIT and Yaba College of
Technology in Nigeria. Discuss issues of faith or just meet new people.
http://mit-yct-cc.blogspot.com/
Email Joel <joel_f at mit.edu>, Tony <tonyk at mit.edu>, or Paul
<pelliott at mit.edu> to join.

- Boston Cares
As many of you know, last semester I spent a great deal of time meeting
with the campus ministries at several Boston area schools and discussing
the possibility of collaborating on service/social projects.  I have
also spread my belief that there should be an opportunity for Boston
area college students to meet and get to know one another through
working together on a shared project.  For this past school year, the
Regis College Campus Ministry has been working very hard at organizing a
day to accomplish this goal, and I am very pleased to announce that such
a day has come!
On MARCH 25, 2006, the service organization BOSTON CARES is hosting two
service projects that I would like to invite you to join  us in working.
The first project is that of TUTORING kids at the Boston Latin Saturday
Success School.  The children are junior high and high school age
students in need of help in the areas of Math, Science, English, or
Latin.  The time for this is 8:45 a.m. to noon. If tutoring does not
interest you, you also have the opportunity to lend a hand at the BOSTON
RESCUE MISSION.  At the Rescue Mission, you will be aiding the homeless
and the poor of Greater Boston.  The time for this alternate project is
10:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.  The fun of the day doesn't end there! As a
way to celebrate the collaboration efforts and the service projects, we
are hosting a party during the evening of March 25th! The theme of the
party is     ?BOSTON UNDER ONE ROOF,? and the hours are 10 P.M. UNTIL
1:30 A.M.  Admission into the party is $5.  For those taking part in the
service project, however, admission is free! Please know that you do not
need to participate in the service project in order to come to the
party.  All are welcome to dance the night away!
If you are interested in taking part in the service project, please go
to the _Boston Cares_ website at http://www.bostoncares.org[1].  There
is a link on the site that allows you to sign up for the project.
There is a registration fee of $10.  Please also R.S.V.P. to this letter
and let me know that you will be joining us!  There are limited spots
available, so please respond quickly.  It is necessary for all new
volunteers to go through an orientation training, and we will take part
in this together once the final numbers are confirmed. Should you have
any questions, please feel free to contact me at 413-695-4985 or e-mail
me at ehair503 at regiscollege.edu[2].  I very much hope to see you on the
25th so that you may take part in this exciting day!