[TCCM] Events for the week of 11/15

Paul Harrison Elliott pelliott at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 15 09:16:44 EST 2004

This is a weekly email sent out to all members of MIT's Tech Catholic
Community (TCC) announcing the events of the upcoming week.

To unsubscribe use the list web page:

This information can generally be found on the TCC webpage:
http://web.mit.edu/tcc/www/

---------------------------
TCC Events for 11/15
---------------------------

- World Youth Day Information Sessions
- Accountability Groups
- Council Meeting Monday
- Thanksgiving Retreat

- Monday Night
- Weekly Prayer Schedule (Changes)
- Eucharistic Adoration (Tuesday and new Wednesday Format)
- Mid-Week Mass Schedule

- CASPAR Towel Collection at Mass

- Young Disciples Teams
- December 2 - Talk by Dr. Peter Kreeft
- Interdenominational Bible Study

---------------------------
Sign-ups and one-time events
---------------------------

- World Youth Day Information Sessions
Interested in meeting young Catholics from all over the World?  The Holy
Father is once more inviting youths (16 to 30 year old) to gather, this
time in Cologne, Germany, from August 15th to August 21th.  If you think
you might be interested in joining the pilgrims or you just want to
learn more about WYD, you need to come to one of the information
sessions being held in the next 2 weeks.  One will be held on Thursday,
November 18th, at 8:30PM. The other on Tuesday, November 23rd, at the
same time.  Both will be held in the main dining hall.  If you cannot
attend any of them, please e-mail Jeanne Lafortune jlafor at mit.edu or
Elizabeth Basha e_basha at mit.edu.

- Accountability Groups
TCC is considering starting accountability groups. For those of you who
are not familiar with such groups, they are basically a group of people
(usually same sex) that meet together regularly to discuss how each
person is doing in their daily walk with Christ, being completely open
and honest (I stress this part, because it one one of the unique
features of such a group) and to try and encourage and support each
member to always continue growing in their relationship with Christ.
We're planning for the meetings to be once a week at the moment
(although individual groups can decide to meet more or less often on
their own once their formed). If you think you would be interested in
joining such a group I would ask that you send me the following
information:
* Name:
* Sex (sometimes I can't always tell by the name):
* Year:
* From 1-10 how good you feel your relationship with God is (be as
honest and accurate as possible):
* Names or groups of any people (of the same sex) you would prefer not
to be grouped with (i.e. John Smith, anyone below year 3, anyone who
ranked themselves above 7, etc.):
* Names or groups of any people (of the same sex) you would prefer to be
grouped with:
* Any other information you feel would be relevant to placing you in a
particular group:
After getting information we'll announce the first meeting for each of
the groups along with a designated contact person for the group. As
always if you have any questions, just give me an email
(joel_f at mit.edu). God bless.

- Council Meeting Monday
The next council meeting will be on Monday at 9pm, following TCC Monday
night in W11.

- Thanksgiving Retreat
There will be a thanksgiving retreat to Newburyport, MA, leaving on
Wednesday and returning on Friday.

---------------------------
Ongoing Events
---------------------------

- Monday Nights
Pasta Plus- 7-9 in W11 MDH: Pretty soon the Church will be starting a
new liturgical year and we’ll be jumping into the Gospel according to
St. Matthew, won’t it be cool to get some knowledge through scripture
study? Come by and learn awesome stuff regarding Mathew and parts of his
Gospel, all while being fed a yummy, free, home cooked meal. Questions?
Want to volunteer to cook? Contact Ana at aposada at mit.edu

- Prayer This Week
Liturgy of the Hours - M-F 7:15am, 6:15pm, Sat 7:00am, 4:00pm, Sun
8:30am, 6:15pm.
Rosary - daily 15 minutes after the start of Liturgy of the Hours.
Meet in Chapel.  Contact Joel (joel_f at mit.edu) for more information.
If you don't see us in the chapel we are probably either downstairs
or just outside the chapel.

- Eucharistic Adoration
* Join us Tuesday 7:00pm for Eucharistic Adoration in the
Chapel.
* Wednesday Eucharistic Adoration- Chapel 7-8:30- So never know what to
do during silent adoration? After 10 minutes do you just have nothing
else to pray? Do you really want to spend more time in front of the
Blessed Sacrament? This Wednesday, Eucharistic adoration will be
accompanied by praise and worship music. So come by and sing your heart
out while praising Jesus who will most certainly be there. Contact
joel_f at mit.edu or aposada at mit.edu if you have questions.

- Mid-Week Mass
Join us Tuesday and Friday for Mass from 12:05pm - ~12:35pm in the
Chapel.

---------------------------
Volunteer Opportunities
---------------------------

- CASPAR Towel Collection at Mass
        We will be circulating a second collection basket during Mass to
raise
money for CASPAR, an emergency shelter in Cambridge serving homeless men
and women with substance abuse problems.  100% of the second collection
will go towards purchasing bath towels for the shelter, which provides
beds for 80 people per night.
        The CASPAR collection will start on Nov. 14, and run every
Sunday until
December 5.  Another option is to bring new or used clean bath towels to
Mass, where there will be a collection box available.
        Questions? Email Christine (chrisng at mit.edu).

---------------------------
Non-TCC Events (Catholic and Interdenominational)
---------------------------

- Young Disciples Teams
We coordinate an apostolate called the Young Disciples Teams.
Summer 2005 will be our fifth summer.
In a nutshell, we ask young adults (at least 18) to be a part of a
summer team that does Catholic week long vacation bible schools. In four
summers, we have had team members from all over the United States, e.g.
ND, SD, MN, IN, IA, TX, NM, CA, PA, NY, KY, OH, LA, and from Slovakia.
After three weeks of training, the teams begin to travel from town to
town.  They spend one week in each rural town, parish or reservation
conducting week long Catholic camps for elementary students during the
days and also doing at least one teen event, one adult event and
visiting nursing homes and hospitals during the evenings. The whole
mission is to introduce others to the joy and hope of Jesus Christ.
Without the Young Disciples Teams these rural areas would not have
opportunities like these.
For Summer 2005, the commitment is for 10 weeks, beginning May 19
through July 31, 2005.
Also, check out our website http://www.fargodiocese.org/youngdisciples.
God bless you and may you be aware of every opportunity to know and
share His love.

- December 2 - Talk by Dr. Peter Kreeft
Sponsored by a group dedicated to the 20th century Catholic writer G.K.
Chesterton.
December 2: Dr. Peter Kreeft, Professor of Philosophy at Boston College,
contrasts GKC’s seminal work “The Everlasting Man” with modern
secularism and Christian fundamentalism.
7-8pm at The Upper Room in St. Clement Eucharistic Shrine, 1105 Boylston
St., Boston, MA 02115
For more information, email Jerome Kiley at kiley at abcisp.net or
Joshua Paulin at jdpaulin at gmail.com

- Interdenominational Bible Study
Come and join us this (11/14) and every other Sunday for a Scripture
study with our Protestant brothers and sisters focussing specifically on
topics on which Protestants and Catholics have differing beliefs and
trying to come to a better understanding of God's truth. Meet up at 2:00
on the Student Center first floor by the stairs. Any questions? Just
email me at joel_f at mit.edu. We also have a mailing list for similar
discussion via email which you can add yourselves to if you're
interested and that is ibs at mit.edu. God bless.