[Tango-L] Tango-L past and where we should be heading.

Reuven tango at verybest.us
Sat Apr 11 11:31:59 EDT 2015

This mailing list was started by Shahrukh at the time when the internet
was at it’s infancy, at least in terms of mass usage. If one wanted to
be part of the Tango community, that was it. It was the only place you
could communicate with other Tangueros, find Milongas in other countries
as well as discuss any Tango related issues.

Today, the world is different, the internet is not the same as well.
While Facebook by no means is a substitute to a mailing list, it diverts
a lot of time and attention from users. It fulfills the need of
“community” at the cost of the ability to converse in a more meaningful
way; with people that are not “friends”, but share the same passion.

Furthermore, Tango became ubiquitous in the US and everywhere else. It
was no longer committed Tangueros, it is now everyone who got exposed to
Tango one way or another. It became a mass interest splintered among
many venues and sites.

In October 2000 I created a Yahoo group - NewYorkTango, with the idea to
emulate the Tango-L for New Yorkers. It has now over 1600 members, but
is never caught up as a community - it became a platform for Tango
events organizers to publicize their events.

There is a room for a community, and in my view it’s needed. Tango-L has
the right history and future if it will adapt to today’s world: allowing
images, attachments and graphics in general, to mentions a few.
Yahoo Groups is not the only available venue: there is a new entity
https://groups.io/ which describes itself as “Email Groups 2.0". I would
suggest that Shahrukh move Tango-L to groups.io. This will not only help
with MIT affiliation issues but will also bring to the list a new
interface and tools. That, I believe may revitalize the concept of Tango
“community” and in a way help bringing it back to the “good old days”. A
Facebook page linking to the Tango-L group would not hurt either...

Another thing that was suggested earlier - the group must be moderated.
Otherwise it will be in danger of failing. I am sure some members will
be willing to help.

I think I was blabbering enough for one morning... and thank you for
reading!

Reuven