[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 09:16:55 EDT 2011

Nice post, Myk.

John, as I recall, tango did not spring fully formed from the head of Zeus.  I understand that tango was first a dance that was in search of music, and that it was danced to polka in its early years. The music came later.

I suppose when people started dancing tango to waltz music they felt that tango as they knew it would be obliterated.  We know that that didn't happen.  I've heard that waltz was used to get women to dance the tango (they thought they were being asked to dance waltz and got tango vals instead).

Seems to me that dancing tango to non-tango music created a whole new genre of the dance that we all know and love.

Trini de Pittsburgh