[Tango-L] The single best milonga environment in the US!

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Sun Jul 18 17:15:15 EDT 2010

It sounds like an enchanting environment. However, the questions I ask when I
travel and look for places to dance tango are:

(1) What kind of music is played?

If the music is not suitable for dancing tango (Piazzolla, most Pugliese after
1960, modern tango orchestras that lose the rhythm in playing classic tangos,
neotango, alternative non-tango music, etc.), then the dance experience is
compromised.

(2) How do the people dance?

If the floor is full of flying limbs and bodies moving rapidly in unpredictable
directions, there is no peace in dancing tango.

There are some milongas in Buenos Aires with hard tile floors, ragged
tablecloths, peeling paint, and dirty bathrooms, yet the music and dance can be
mesmerizing.

Ron