[Tango-L] Milonga Rules, Nazism, and the Preservation of Tango Culture

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:03:30 EDT 2009

----- Original Message ----

> A/ Tango Milonga
>
> It is a social activity consisting of
>
> Meeting and dancing with friends old and new
> Seeking a tango trance
> Lanes that progress around the room; no zig-zagging around the middle
> Smaller 2-3 step sequences and rock steps
> Moderate strides and cautious boleos
> Maybe occasional brushes with other dancers
>
> B/ Authentic Argentine tango
>
> (i) What is allowed?
>
> Salon-style tango including:
>
> milonguero/apilado/petitero/caquero/Villa Urquiza
> club tango
>
> Golden age tango music from the late 30’s to the 50’s
>
> (ii) What is not allowed?
>
> Tango orillero
> Tango nuevo, including volcadas, kicks above the knee, multiple guanchos
> Fantasia/salon tango
> cayengue
> tango music post 1950’s
> alternative/neo tango music

Except that I see no prohibition against canyengue in and one milonguero has told me he dances 'orillero', this more-or-less describes the overwhelming majority of milongas (> 100/week) in Buenos Aires. Tango music post 1950s will be played occasionally if it is in the style of the 30s-50s tango music (e.g. One may occasionally hear Color Tango).

I realize this was said in jest. What I cannot understand is why some dancers object to trying to recreate Argentine tango culture outside Argentina. Tango is not only the dance, it is the music and the culture, the latter including certain codes of social interaction. Can't we try to recreate this in peace?

> Subject: [Tango-L] Tango NAZI- STYLE POLICE
>
> This is a reply to Social Tango rules and Milonga regulations
> ..
> if you follow these regulatory "Tango-Nazi"  suggestions
>
> - Tango will STAY underground, no new people will come
> - Tango will be danced by only the above age of 55 (especially in North America)
> - No diversity will be exist. Universal DJing system would work, so no
> djing skills required since if everyone plays the same tandas with
> same order at same set up.

Actually, I think nuevo overwhelming milongas is doing a good job of stamping out diversity.

>  Reality check: We are in the 21st century and the year is 2009, it's
> not 1946 and we don't live in Buenos Aires.
> I would suggest the ones who cry for authentic tango experience and
> dream about TANGO TIME MACHINE, just move to BsAs.

This gives us a lot of options, doesn't it?

So now cultural preservation is being associated with Nazism, the great annihilator of cultures it didn't like. By goose-stepping into our milongas, nuevo is driving tango milonguero into the underground. So who really are the Nazis here?

A respect for cultural diversity allows all cultures to thrive. Traditionalists are not asking nuevoists to stop dancing. You certainly have many alternative milongas to choose from. We're just asking you to allow us to preserve the culture we admire in the type of environment we want to create. In our house, please respect our house rules. To not do so is arrogant and immature. Grow up and recognize you can't just impose your behavior on everyone.

Ron