[Tango-L] Missing Magic

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 21:57:41 EDT 2009

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:06:49 -0300
From: Shahrukh MerchantSubject:
Re: [Tango-L] Missing Magic

Art and commerce (of art) have always had an uneasy symbiosis, and
Tango is not immune to this. What the recent internationalization
phenomenon has done is upset that balance. International interest and
money feeds the commerce *but does not have the same stake in the
culture*.............., without even the strength of a sense of
identity behind it. Contrast that to a century plus of local Tango
culture in Buenos Aires (ok, Rio de la Plata region), where the
culture is furthermore intertwined with a strong sense of identity
that is part of
a subconscious national identity. Which do you think is more likely to
care about preserving traditions?

Now that is an interesting question Shahrukh, that begs a response.
The assumption might the the latter, but I'm not so sure.  The
advantage most western Tango converts have is wealth.  Some
foreigners, with sufficient perception and patience learn to
understand the essence of Tango that attracts most people in the first
instance.  They have the luxury of being in a position to protect a
tradition that they find so entrancing, because they do not need to
survive from teaching Tango.  The also often have a convert's
enthusiasm.  Compare this with the stream of 3rd rank "maestros" who
pour out to the US, Europe, Australia & Asia.  Many are not wealthy,
and when an opportunity to travel and make some money presents itself,
they are not about to miss it. (not a criticism, just a statement).
Nor are they very focussed on preserving a tradition (other than
words).  I have not seen one such "maestro" who does not attract
customers through performance (mostly average) and then proceed to
teach semi-performance to a gullible audience who believe it is the
real deal.  Hence the hybridisation of modern Argentine Tango around
the world.  Tete said to a class we attended in Buenos Aires, "If you
(the local dancers) continue this way, the foreigners will return to
teach you how to dance Tango".

John