[Tango-L] Tango Styles

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Thu Nov 13 02:05:09 EST 2008

Yes, Traditional Tango is a better description than Villa Urquiza, and
Sergio's description is apt.

Milonguero style was done at the same time, in the city center, very
simply, in various styles, with major emphasis on walking and back
ochos. In 1993 or 94 Susana Miller opened her school to teach it,
featuring the style of Tete. Milonguero style was subsequently promoted
as the only real social tango, ignoring Traditional Tango or that done
in Villa Urquiza and in most neighborhoods of the city.

I find Chicho's "Nuevo Tango" in his first video 'way more tango than
Fabian's, it's really quite lovely and not only because of  the music.
Chicho and his partner have a real connection. . Fabian always looks, to
me, like he and his partner are experimenting in how clever and
wonderful they can be (and they are!!), but I see no connection. Without
connection, there is no tango, IMHO, regardless of style or skill. I
also find that when dancing tango techniques to non-tango music the
connection is lost. Not because you can't have a connection without
tango music, but because if you are dancing in a tango way, tango music
is necessary to complete the connection. For example if you are dancing
to blues or Frank Sinatra, you can have plenty of connection; but of
course it isn't tango. I have danced tango movements to Frank Sinatra,
and although enjoyable, it isn't tango and the connection isn't there.
Whereas i can dance foxtrot to Frank or slow swing to blues with plenty
of connection.

Que se yo, soy una vieja verde,
Abrazos,
Barbara in Vallarta