[Tango-L] Origin of Tandas

tangosmith@cox.net tangosmith at cox.net
Fri Mar 14 14:19:20 EDT 2008

Sergio, thanks for the very interesting explanation on the origin of
tandas.  It certainly makes sense now, that it was related to the number of
dances normally on a ticket.  Not surprising that it had little or nothing
to do with changing the style of the music being played and certainly not a
change in orchestras.

Personally, I’ve always been a little ambivalent on the tanda structure and
am probably even more so now, understanding that it is actually an
anachronism.  On the other hand, I have no problem observing the tanda as
an expression of the culture, but as others have noted, I do believe that
tandas work against the integration of beginners.  Given tandas,
experienced dancers who might dance with a beginner for one song instead
avoid them altogether rather than getting “stuck” with them for four dances
(exceptions are of course made for attractive young women!).  As a result,
many beginners find the milonga experience frustrating.

Regarding the story of a band playing straight through, and unfortunately
it’s been a while since I’ve been to a milonga with live music, but at
other dances I go to with live music the bands usually give enough time
between songs for a graceful change.  Has anyone ever seen this tried in
tango, or do we now consider tandas too much an integral part of the
culture?

WBSmith