[Tango-L] Syncopation

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Sun Jan 13 13:22:34 EST 2008

Using syncopation to mean stepping double time is common enough by
dancers, but incorrect musically. We've talked about this before in
the archives.

However, Milonga and Tango do have quite a bit of syncopation, and a
good dancer makes extensive use of syncopation.

Syncopation is about rhythmic emphasis being placed in unexpected or
irregular locations in time. One could syncopate by the adding,
dropping or shifting energy.

The rhythmic punctuation of Biagi is a great example (see El 13). Note
how he drops the expected beat... "elevator shaft music" (it suddenly
drops out from under you). Troilo utilizes a lot of syncopation (see
Cachirulo). Troilo also uses a lot of 3-3-2 or long-long-short rhythms
which contrast with the regular 4/4 and have a syncopated feel.

Leonel El Feo by Melingo makes a very evocative use of syncopated-
habanero, kind of a hold-back-and-go.

Note, that we express rhythm and syncopation in a lot of different
ways, not just stepping on the beat.

For example, in Tango, we have the "and-moment", when we suspend
before surging. The engagement with our partner (both leader &
follower) comes ahead of the first beat of the music. Musically, the
bandoneon starts wheezing before the musician stomps his leg to
punctuate the "1".  If tango didn't have this suspension and surge, it
feels flat.

In Milonga, we make considerable use of hip and tummy movements to
cause rhythmic interest.