[Tango-L] Leaving the floor

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Jan 3 15:48:00 EST 2008

Stephen P Brown wrote:

> Some of the djs in the United States have begun reducing the length of
> tandas to three songs to promote/enable more rotation between partners.
> I'm interested in opinions about the desirablity of such an approach.

For London milongas, I made that switch about three years ago and the
general impression on myself and the organisers and dancers who've
commented is that it works. Elsewhere e.g. Berlin, where dancers are on
average much more experienced and girls don't greatly outnumber guys, I
play longer tandas. As a dancer, I prefer longer tandas.

buffmilonguera at aol.com wrote:

> I also "play out" the cortina if I notice that a large number of dancers
> are new .... between tandas I play one song that seems appropriate to
> this group of dancers.

A cortina (curtain) is for not dancing and an other-rhythm break is for
dancing. I think it is a bad idea to confuse the two. I'm glad I know
nowhere in Europe or BsAs that does that.

--
Chris