[Tango-L] Nino Bien

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sat Feb 2 10:12:28 EST 2008

I remember a quote, but don't know where it was from, maybe a movie.
"Those damn foreigners have been ruining things for us ever since we
came to this country!".  Doe anyone one know the exact line and where
it was from?

Foreigner in BsAs are a great thing for the economy, good for tango
business, and really bad news for the quality of the milongas.

Foreigners bring with them anxieties that belong to their own
cultures, as well as nervous energy to dance a lot in a short time
that they are there.  If they live in BsAs, it is differnt.  The
foreign dancers who live in BsAs are calm and blend with the
Argentine flow of the milongas.  But those who are there for only a
couple of weeks, show up with anxiety to dance as much as possible,
which changes the values placed on dacing in the milongas.

In my experience, milongas that are overwhelmen by foreigners are
anxious, nervous milongas that do not have the intensity and danger
of a true Argentine milonga.  They are boring.  Foreigners dance with
technical precision and no passion, ad that is a cultural handicap
that cannot be changed by just talking about it.

The point of going to BsAs is to live and breath the culture that
gave rise to tango, to absorb the energy and the feel without word,
to experience something that cannot be experienced any place
else.  To be surrounded by the foreigners and the feeling and their
own culture that they bring to tango, one does not need to go to
BsAs.  He/she can just stay in their own countries.

Best,

Nina