[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

Linda A. tangaux02 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 14:11:58 EDT 2007

Am I the only one amused that Igor goes straight
for a clip of stage dancing, whereas 'Mash showed
something in a more social setting?

At any rate, I read 'Mash's point a little
differently.  I don't think he said anything
about compromising tango form in favor of
"relaxing and JUST walking."  On the contrary, I
rather like the idea that remembering to relax is
introduced early on.  Learning tango can be
harrowing enough as it is, especially in the
beginning, and a lot of unnecessary tension is
generated in the body.  (Well, I have a sneaking
suspicion that at least some tension in tango
dancers is due to personality, but I can't do
anything about that.  :P) At any rate, I'm
willing to bet a lot of us had to unlearn this
tension after dancing for quite a while.

The teachers I remember most are the ones who
emphasized walking, breathing, and moving
naturally, in addition to refining tango
technique.  And I'm sure you will agree, Igor,
that the best dancers are also some of the most
relaxed.

'Mash, I think it's fascinating that you're
coming to tango from house.  Proof that this
dance indeed pulls a diverse crowd!

Abrazos fuertes a todos,
Linda