[Tango-L] Rock step?

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Mon Jul 23 14:03:07 EDT 2007

Debbie Novitz wrote:
>>Milonga traspie is not the same as tango.  It is danced well as an added
step with a changing of weight rapidly between the beats.  One must move
faster to allow that extra jig.  The reason most cannot do it well is
because they do "hop" or rock step to get to the next step.  That is the
main reason why I seldom dance milonga.<<

I love dancing milonga.  It is a joy.  In keeping with the idea of it just
being a romp, I tend to stick to basic milonga ste[s, adding a few traspie
movements only when I am comfortable with a partner and the music seems to
ask for traspie.

What I observe when watching others dancing milonga with lots of traspie
elements, is that many dancers rush their double-time movements.  The
result is a lot of hoppping.

About the use of the rock-step in milonguero-style tango:
Susana Miller teaches what I would describe as a giro if you are watching
what the woman is doing.  As Susana teaches the step pattern, the man's
footwork gives him an appearance and feeling of doing a rock step.
Interestingly enough, I have found there are at least three different
options for the man's footwork on this giro--one of which is a single foot
spin which gives the man a very different appearance and feel.

With best regards,
Steve