[Tango-L] Dance Flaming: not an isolated phenomenon

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 11:59:55 EDT 2007

Enjoy! :)

Flamenco Purists Bemoan Blending of Dance Styles

Wall Street Journal
July 18, 2007  6:26pm

Flamenco is gaining in popularity around the world, but as the
centuries-old dance form gains new fans, some adherents to tradition
worry that quality is taking a hit. The tug-of-war between flamenco
purists and innovators is similar to conflicts that have dogged other
forms of art through the ages. In flamenco’s case, reports Graham Keeley
of Britain’s Independent, the fight is complicated by questions over the
dance’s origins, and disputes over who deserves credit for which
innovations.

Flamenco first appeared as an entertainment among gypsies in Spain
around 1760, deriving its flamboyant dance moves and narrative songs
from Indian, Latin American and Arabic roots. Dancers and musician
drawing on flamenco can sell out large spaces in Japan and the United
Kingdom.

The flamenco singer José de la Tomasa has criticized flamenco’s
world-famous stars such as Joaquín Cortés for sacrificing the art’s
roots by adding in moves from other dance styles. To traditionalists,
Introducing ballet or jazz steps into flamenco is viewed as merely a
marketing ploy. “In Andalusia, we don’t give flamenco the importance it
deserves, not just as a first-rate cultural asset but as a potential
source of revenue. But I don’t think we should let ourselves be guided
by purely monetary considerations,” says Rafael Infante, an adviser to
the Seville Flamenco Biennale.

Flamenco modernizers claim they are enriching the form rather than
destroying it. Tina Panadero, director of the Flamenco Museum in Seville
and the niece of a well-known flamenco innovator, says the dispute is
ironic, given the dance’s multicultural heritage. “What people don’t
realize is that there is no definition of flamenco. It has only been
around for about 150 years, and is always changing.” – Robin Moroney

Byline: Graham Keely, The Independent

http://blogs.wsj.com/informedreader/2007/07/18/flamenco-purists-bemoan-blending-of-dance-styles

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC

"legal solutions for 21st century businesses"