[Tango-L] tell me why someone can not stand comparison of a dancer to a musical instrument

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 13:30:19 EST 2007

This is getting to be really amazing to me. Why is it so hard to accept the following:

1. If someone says to me, I do not like being called or compared to such-and-such for whatever reason or no reason at all but just pure dislike, I just should not do it, if for no other reason, for the respect of someone's wishes, regardless of your original motivation - I could find another term/comparison that works, if I really need one,

2. I do not care how one couches it, but an instrument is an object manipulated or operated by an agent for a purpose. In this process, the instrument has no voice. The agent is designing and applying the process, the same agent may be also designing the instrument, the agent is moreover selecting the goals for the process - instrument has no say whatsoever but to behave according to the agent's designs. Wow! Apply that to tango now. Why not dance with a rubber doll or something instead?

No doubt that a musician needs to understand the instrument and play it the way it needs to be played, but that's besides the point - the instrument is still an object - no wishes, no desires, no soul, no creativity, nothing, just beauty, either in and of itself or in the hands of a skillful player. Wow!

You know, years back I dated this lady who used to call me a "stud." I resented that and after she repeated that a few times and I explained to her why that was really not a compliment to me. She had no problems accepting my wishes and, while she certainly did not mean anything bad by attaching that term to me, and meant is a compliment, she never ever used it again. She was sensitive and non-judgmental enough to just accept my wishes. Am I making this clear?

I would love to engage in discussing men's-women's ways in general, but that is not subject of this interest group. I suppose I wrote those lines above in order to share my amazement with some of the views which differ so much from mine that they deserve comments. I do not mean to change anyone's mind or to prove what is "right" or what is "wrong."

...dubravko

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
   this life is not a rehearsal