[Tango-L] non spanish speaker

Melanie Eskoff melanieeskoff at austin.rr.com
Sat May 6 12:21:26 EDT 2006

I'm sure that my appreciation of any culture is enhanced by knowing their language.  That dosen't mean that I can't become a sensational tango dancer with my minimal Spanish and travel.   My physicality and musicality help me out a lot.  Wish I knew more Spanish, but life is so full of so many things and I choose to invest my free time in dance, gardening, design........  There are certain operas that move me to tears without knowing the words.   Occasionally when I've discovered the subject matter through a translation,  it was revealed to be  fairly pedestrain.  I realize that a translation is diluted, but waxing poetic about horseracing, gambling, whoring, or whatever, is not necessarily what moves me.  I happily, ignorantly listen to the French, Spanish or Italian and weep.

Same with tango.  For the most part I have no idea what they're saying, but I don't really care, 'cause when I hear Desed de Alma/Pugliese, or Champagne Tango/Canaro, or Floreal Ruiz starts to sing on Lloraras, Lloraras with Troilo, or Francisco Fiorentino comes in on Tinta Roja /Biagi, OHMAGOD!!!!,  it's a warmth and excitment that starts in the core of my body an races  out in all directions.  As it reaches my head, if I weren't dancing, I'd swoon!!!  I would bet that there are several million portenos who never experience this ecstasy even though they can easily grasp the lyrics.  The music and the dance just aren't for them.  Art appreciation is subjective.

I just thank the Tango Gods that I was bornagain.  Don't try to tell me it could get better than this.  I'd spontanously combust!

Swoonin' in Texas,
ME
PS  My lack of Italian didn't prevent me from reaching a sobbing for joy kind of nirvana as I gazed on Bernini's, Daphne & Apollo, which has a questionable subject matter, but is awsome beyond anything I've ever seen.  No translation needed.