[Tango-A] NA-E: Lectures and Workshops in PA and NYC plus Interview with Ernest Williams

Ernest Williams alohatango2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 23:48:50 EDT 2010

Musings with the Maestros: An Interview with Ernest Williams (Nov. 3, 2010)
Ernest Williams will be visiting Bethlehem and New York
City http://www.youshouldbedancing.net/viewWorkshopsSchedule.aspx between November
 11th and November 15th presenting a series of lectures and workshops
illuminating the relationship between African cultural influences and the
tango.  He spent some time talking with La Vida Del Tango about his journey from
break-dancing in Philadelphia to being the protagonist of what may be the
most-watched performance of canyengue on youtube (upwards of 24,000 and
counting).  See our Workshops page for scheduling and details.

LVDT: You seem to have been involved in dance a long time.
EW: I’ve loved dancing since I was a child.  I grew up in Philadelphia and when
I was a kid—that was back in the late 1970s and early 80s—break-dancing was the
thing and I was always out there, pop-locking and all that kind of stuff.  I did
Michael Jackson imitations and I even entered a school competition with red
jacket, zipper and gloves.  In the ‘hood there was always a new dance—the wop or
the smurf, whatever new dance was out that year, I would do it.  One time my
older sister told me “all you is that break dancing, that’s not dancing—you
can’t dance.”  That bugged me!  Although I didn’t let it get me down, I kept it
in mind..........)
To Read the rest click on the following link. or got to Lavidadeltango.org and
click on essays and articles.
http://lavidadeltango.org/essays_and_articles