[Tango-A] NA-C: Contra-Punto Tango (counterpoint) - Polyphonic Dancing - May 23, 2010.

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sun May 2 14:16:29 EDT 2010

"There's a sadness to the human condition that I think music is good for. It
gives a counterpoint to the visual beauty, and adds depth to pictures that
they wouldn't have if the music wasn't there."
                                                    Mike Figgis

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of Tango,

I am adding this special class on May 23, 2010 to my current schedule.  This
class is not a part of the turns seminars and you may register for it
regardless whether or not you are taking the other classes.

What I have discovered teaching this material is that, when dancers work
with the structure of tango music and translate it into their dance, they do
not need to adapt my way or anyone else's way of dancing and will improve in
the technique of their own chose tango style.

As you may recall from the Polyphonic Tango classes, we have addressed the
existence of different voices in the music of tango and we began working on
translating the quality of those voices into movement.

Contra-Punto Tango is a step beyond.  In this class, we will continue
working on the presence of independent voices in tango, but we also will
work on interdependency between harmony and rhythm, translating it into the
physical realm of the dance.

In this class, we will learn how to translate the intensity and complexity
of counterpoint into movement for both partners, thus learning the
expression of emotional content of music.  We will explore the
interconnection of the two partners while each retains his and her voice in
the technique.

I have this crazy idea that not only what we feel, but how we feel the music
can be expressed in movement.  This idea has always been around in classical
dance, so it is not new and I can't claim it as mine, but, for some reason,
it rarely visits tango, if ever.

Understanding the language of music has monumental effect on technique.  We
will work on a few specific elements that will take you beyond the
simplicity of dancing only the rhythm or the melody.

What: Contra Punto Tango - translating the counterpoint of tango music into
the technique of the dance
When: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 3:30PM - 5PM
Where: Consulate Healing Center, 750 E. 9th Ave, Suite 210, Denver, CO,
80203.
Cost: $15 per person.
Registration deadline: Tuesday, May 18, 2010.

I am very excited about this class.  Working with music brings tremendous
freedom to the dance.  I am making this class very affordable this time
because I believe that everyone should have access to this work.

I encourage you to register with a partner, if you know someone that you can
work well with in class.  If not, that is not a problem because I will need
to create a gender-balanced class.

Just a word of encouragement - even if you can't think of someone that you
can ask to be your partner for the class right now, don't dismiss this idea
too quickly.  These special classes are worthy of your effort to find
someone to work with.  If you decide to do so, it would help me if you
simply let me know that you plan to attend and are looking for a partner.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can answer any questions you may
have.

My very best regards to every one of You,

Nina
720-434-4342

You may find Nina on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nina-Pesochinsky-Tango-Argentino/415909528568?ref=ts