[Tango-A] NA-E: The Going-Out-of-Business Milonga: The Short Life of a Charming Venue

Lucille Krasne lukrasne at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 20:49:17 EDT 2010

Here today, gone tomorrow‹well, GONE AFTER THIS TUESDAY‹1 more time to enjoy
this charmer!!
SO COME TUESDAY, AUG 3 for this special milonga

The PARLOR (a.k.a. East Village Tango Parlor) is having a
going-out-of-business  sale!
If you have seen The PARLOR at Prof. Thom¹s Bar and Restaurant, you know how
great it is--- if you haven¹t seen The PARLOR now is your last chance!

We have had such accolades from those who have been here and loved the
place! (see the most amazing one reprinted below from Tango L)

The sale price of $5 will get you into this going-out-of-business milonga.
Dance from 8:00 to 12:00
A partner in Prof. Thom¹s only likes sports fans and bollixed the deal!
So another great tango venue hits the dust!

Lucille

Prof. Thom¹s
219 Second Ave, upstairs.
Between 13th and 14th Streets
For info 212 777 6053

This is re-printed from Tango-L‹this posting was a complete surprise‹thanks,
Loreen!

 Subject: The single best milonga environment in the US!

Dear Everyone:

I have danced (taught and performed) throughout the US for somewhere around
20 years and therefore I truly do have a basis for comparison regarding
venues. I have danced pretty much every night of my life (including after
performing).

Tuesday night (7/6) I stopped in to a new milonga in Manhattan: The Parlor
at Professor Thom¹s Bar and Restaurant, 219 2nd Avenue between 13th and 14th
Streets. What could be more ³tango² then the adventure of moving past a
black curtain and ascending a hidden staircase in a Victorian-style,
brownstone and discovering, upstairs, the most positively wonderful space
with old fashioned (electrified) gas lights, centrally located full bar, an
outdoor terrace, a conjoined conversational and/or practica area and
throughout, THE best dance floor. Each week there are different guest DJs -
- and NYC offers up so many that are truly fantastic.

I have not been a promoter for many years. I simply had to share this
discovery - - in my own self-interest so I can look forward for years to
come to dancing in this really special milonga. It reminds me of what it
felt like 20 years ago when I was amongst the very few non-Argentines
ferreting out the ³secret² milongas frequented by the Argentines, the ones
that were in unexpected places and transported all of us to by-gone times.

All best,

Loreen