[Tango-A] News for the Berlin Tango Festival, May 28th-June 1st, 200

tangofestivalberlin info at tangofestivalberlin.de
Thu May 14 19:37:00 EDT 2009

Dear friends of Tango!

We would be very excited if we could welcome you on our festival. All
announced workshops will take place and there are still plenty of
workshops you can choose from. Exceptionally there are plenty of
special hotel offers in Berlin at the festival weekend.

This year the Berlin festival takes places on 5 days again with
excellent artists. One highlight is the concert on June 1st by
Stazomayor with the 2 legendary bandoneonists of the 40s; Luis Stazo
and Alfredo Marcucci; and the famous singer Alberto Podesta who alread
did sing in 1942 in the orchestra of Carlos di Sarli and with Miguel
Carlo and Pedro Laurenz.

Further invited orchestras are:
Sexteto Milonguero, Quinteto Beltango with the Argentinian bandoneonist
Carlos Buono, Otros Aires, and Las Bordonas.

The opening Tangoball takes place in the restaurant Auster in the
"Haus der Kulturen der Welt" (located in the park "Tiergarten" next to
the river "Spree" with a huge terrasse). All further tangoballs await
you in Astra Kulturhaus and Ballhaus Rixdorf. 8 dancer pairs present
shows on the tangoballs of the festival and teach on 48 workshops. All
workshops take place in Ballhaus Rixdorf.

The dancers are:
Moira Castellano y Gaston Torelli , Eugenia Parrilla y Pablo Inza,
Céline Ruiz y Damián Rosenthal, Mercedes 'Mecha' Espinel y „El Flaco
Dany“, Natalia Hills y Gabriel Misse, Maria Mondino y Ismael Ludman,
Pedro Abregú y Katharina Sigel.

There will also be the DJ highlight Felix Picherna for the opening
ball on May 28th and on May 29th. He put on the records of Tango music
for more than 50 years. Further DJs are James Bates (May 30th), Jens
Dörr (May 31st) and Hagen Schröter (June 1st).

Demian Gawianski gives a lecture in Ballhaus Rixdorf on Saturday, May
30th, at 13 hrs about the song "Malena". In the Tango Café at Ballhaus
Rixdorf one may dance from 12 hrs, have some food, or simply take some
time out for relaxing. The entry is free. There will be readings from
15 to 16 hrs on Tango subjects. On May 30th Rodrigo Martinez reads "8
Anekdoten", on May 31st Diego Rial "Alles begann mit dem Tango...",
and on June 1st Marianno "Chamuyo canero, la mucama".

In the Tango Café we will present the movie "Más Tango" on May 30th
and June 1st.

The International Tango Festival Berlin 2009 takes place under the
auspices of the Governing Mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit, and of the
general direccion for cultural affairs of the state chancellery of the
Republic of Argentina.

More infos on www.tangofestivalberlin.de or call +49.30.440 471 95

I'm looking forward to welcome you.
Regards,