[Tango-A] NA-E: NYC's Esmeralda's/Fabienne/Summer Reading

Lucille Krasne lukrasne at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 17:34:04 EDT 2009

Esmeralda¹s Tango and Tapas at Session 73 Sunday,
Aug 2 & 9!!
¡Aire Acondicionado!

DANCE 8 ŒTIL LATE!  (12:30 + or until the vacas come home!)
ILENE de Woodstock is back this Sunday
YESIM la Turca joins us Aug 9.

Beginning and Pre-intermediate classes---both at 7:00.
$10 Admission includes classes

Session 73 continues its offer of a complimentary drink with an order of
their terrific tapas in the café or outdoors Œtil 8:30.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT # 1:
Aug 23 Fabienne Bongard is visiting us from LA this Aug. and will be my
special guest this night---
she was one of my first teachers 15 years ago and we had so much fun in her
class I want to
honor her with some of our old classmates‹as many as I can notify‹showing
up!!! SO THAT WEEK
DON¹T LEAVE TOWN!

ANNOUNCEMENT # 2:
Summer Reading A book is just published by VIRGINIA GIFT called TANGO: A
HISTORY OF OBSESSION.
I am just beginning to pour through its 450 pages and so far I think it is a
terrific read ‹juicy (enough to make me overlook typos) complex, with really
nice clear type, easy to read, illustrations beautifully printed-- much to
learn here, some stuff to argue (what else in tango?). Everyone will want to
read this. It is available through Amazon. The following I review is by Clay
Nelson a prominent West Coast organizer/dancer:

³I'd like to call your attention to a new book by Virginia Gift called
"Tango, A History of Obsession".  This book (over 400 pages) is the most
complete and detailed account of tango's history that I've ever
read.  Virginia discusses tango from all aspects: musical, political,
historical, philosophical, but with an emphasis on the dance--as she is a
tanguera herself.  You'll find it well researched with many quotes and
references from historical documents as well as from current dancers from
all over the world (for sure you will know and recognize many of them.)²

Announcement #3:
Re: Esmeralda¹s al Norte‹on Friday nights in Westchester‹starting Aug 21in
Port Chester
Well, we are north of Manhattan. Tell friends from up north! I will send
more details soon.

Lucille Krasne
212 777 6053
³Esmeralda¹s TANGO AND TAPAS² Sundays