[Tango-A] NA-E: Daniel Trenner in Pittsburgh, Jan. 8-10: Tango Evolution

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 11:51:58 EST 2009

Daniel Trenner January 8-10, 2010

It’s a special weekend looking at Tango’s past and its future with Tango Master Daniel Trenner!  Highlights include:

- 2 Milongas with Beginner’s lessons
- Video showing from Daniel’s extensive personal archives,
- Two tracks focused on different yet complementary aspects of tango (Basic Tango to Evolutionary Tango, Turns and the Milonga Experience)

This specially designed weekend will let us explore tango’s past and the modern influences that shape its future, the changes to the experience of a milonga, and what teachers and organizers need to consider as we lead our communities in the future.

DANIEL TRENNER is one of Tango's modern pioneers. He happened on Tango in Buenos Aires in 1986 while he was there teaching Jazz and Improvisation at the State School of Contemporary Dance. He has been called a “Johnny Appleseed of Tango” for his 20 years of touring as a tango teacher, visiting more than 100 cities on 4 continents. Learn more about Daniel at www.danieltrenner.com

All events take place at Absolute Ballroom Dance Center of Pittsburgh, 6617 Hamilton Ave, Pittsburgh, PA  15206.  Questions can be sent to Trini Regaspi at patangos at yahoo.com or (412) 521-1476.

Milonga Picante
===============
Saturday, Jan. 9
8:30-9:30pm  Beginner’s Lesson with Trini
9:30-1:30am  Dancing
$10, includes refreshments and lesson

Friday, Jan. 8
==============
7-7:30pm  Registration & Warmup
7:30-9pm  1. Daniel’s Famous Beginners Workshop (includes milonga)
9pm-12am  Welcome Milonga.  $10

Saturday, Jan. 9
================
Noon-12:30pm  Registration & Warmup
12:30-2:00pm  2. Contact Improvisation for Tango Dancers (All Levels)
2:15-3:45pm  3. Spirals & Squares I:  Turns (Int)
4:00-5:30pm  4. Milonga (Int).

Sunday, Jan. 10
===============
1:00-1:30pm  Registration & Warmup
1:30-3:00pm  5. Exploring Tango’s Evolution to Nuevo (Int)
3:30-5:00pm  6. Spirals & Squares II:  Vals (Int/Adv)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  SPECIAL EVENT  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5:00-6:00pm  Ole!  Taco Bar!  (Dinner Break)
6:00-7:30pm  Historical Videos from Daniel's Extensive Archives.  We will focus on the main characters, both Milonguero and Exhibition, of Tango's modern revival period 1980-1995. Mostly we will view complete dances with a few important excerpts where excerpts are all that is available.

Only $10 for both the Taco Bar and Video Showing.

          ~~~~~  Workshop Descriptions  ~~~~~

Participants may mix classes from the different tracks.

Basic Tango to Evolutionary Tango Track
---------------------------------------

1. DANIEL’S FAMOUS BEGINNER’S WORKSHOP – Known as the “Johnny Appleseed of Tango”, Daniel will teach his famous beginners workshop that has inspired countless tango communities across the nation.  This class is famous for being delightful and making dancing possible for even the most doubtful beginners. This is a great opportunity to give people new to tango their first experience.  Absolute beginners are absolutely welcome!

2. CONTACT IMPROVISATION FOR TANGO DANCERS (ALL LEVELS).  Contact Improvisation is a form of partner dancing based upon the laws of physical motion. Dancers give and receive weight, fall and fly, and sharpen their intuitive powers, as they follow the energy phrases and flows of their dancing.  Daniel brings his extensive knowledge of CI to enhance partner communication and creativity in tango.  Dress comfortably and loosely, such as activewear, and in socks or bare feet.  Pants are recommended for women.

5. EXPLORING TANGO’S EVOLUTION TO NUEVO (INT).  This workshop builds on the principles of improvisation (Workshop #2) to understand the evolution from classic tango to Nuevo.  Vocabulary will include turns with alternative embraces.

Turns and the Milonga Experience Track
--------------------------------------

3. SPIRALS & SQUARES I:  A LOOK AT TURNS (INT).  Exploring turns in close-embrace, including different techniques for different results.

4. MILONGA (INT).  We’ll explore the different energy and vocabulary in milonga (one of tango’s sister dances) that makes it so much fun and lighthearted.

6. SPIRALS & SQUARES II:  VALS (INT/ADV).  We’ll work more on the material from Saturday’s Spirals and Squares I class for vals (waltz), improve navigation skills for crowded dance floors, and put vals in its traditional social context as part of the entire milonga experience.

Workshop Cost
=============
1 workshop … $25
2 workshops… $50
3 workshops… $70
4 workshops… $85
5 workshops… $100
Full pass…  $120 (6 workshops, Taco Bar & Video Showing)

Beginner’s Discount (dancing less than 4 months):  $15 for workshops #1 or #2
Student Discount:  $15 for workshop #1 or #2

Send Checks Payable to:
Trinidad Regaspi
3 Musgrave St.
Pittsburgh, PA  15207