[Tango-A] NA-C: 2009 CHICAGO MINI TANGO FESTIVAL STARTS TOMORROW, APRIL 17

chicagomilonguero chicagomilonguero at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 15:47:48 EDT 2009

2009 CHICAGO MINI TANGO FESTIVAL STARTS TOMORROW, APRIL 17

The 2009 Chicago Mini Tango Festival (www.chicagotangofestival.com) will start tomorrow, Friday, April 17th.  Registration will take place tomorrow starting at 1:30pm at the University Church located at 5655 S. University Avenue, Chicago.

This evening, Thursday, April 16th, we will have two Pre- Festival Workshops at the University Church.  Everyone is welcome to participate. The first class will be taught from 7:00-8:30pm by Maria Olivera and Gustavo Benzecry, titled: “Volcadas for Tango de Salon.” The second class will be taught from 8:30-10pm by Elina Roldan and Ramiro Gigliotti, titled: Musicality-Rhythm in Tango.  The cost for each class is $25.

After the workshops, we plan to have a great time and go to Milonga Loca and have a great time.  Alhambra Restaurant is located at 1240 W. Randolph, Chicago, IL. (http://www.alhambrapalacerestaurant.com/alhambra.html )

We have a clarification to our previous message. In order to attempt to maintain the gender, balance Festival passes are still available to couples and leaders. They are also still available for followers who register with a leader.  Followers are also able to attend the Thursday night pre-festival classes and the Tango 101 and 102 classes that are exclusively for the total beginner.

LATE NIGHT MILONGA
We have also added a late night milonga after the Saturday evening milonga at the University of Chicago.  We are doing the milonga in cooperation and in conjunction with Tango Chicago Milonga.  The milonga will take place after the Saturday Night milonga and go from 2am to 6am at TangoChicago conveniently located at 408 S. Michigan Avenue (on the third floor above Alvin Gates Photography.  The milonga will be dj’ed by Ko Tanaka of New York.

TangoChicago is located in the warm ambiance of downtown Chicago's historic Fine Arts Building with a beautiful view overlooking Grant Park. Ample on-street parking is available nearby as well as conveniently located paid lots. Complimentary food and refreshments will be served. Admission for the milonga is included with the Festival Pass, Weekend Pass, Saturday Pass and Milonga Pass.  For all others the cost will be will be $15 at the door.

For all inquiries about this event including for directions, please call Ray at (708) 955-6040 or Khoi at (312) 622-7256, or email chicagomilonguero at yahoo.com or tangochicago at gmail.com.

** Please note the entrance to the Fine Arts Building will not be accessible during the milonga.   Entry can be gained through door of Alvin Gates Photography. If the door is not open, please ring both doorbells and someone will come down and open the door.

Schedule
The schedule will be updated on the website to provide new information with respect to the weekend, including the changes made with respect to the djs.  We are also happy to announce that Oleh Kovalchuke from Kansas City will be dj’ing the Eye-Opener milonga on Sunday morning.  Oleh has been dancing tango for eight years, and DJed for six years throughout Colorado including Denver and Colorado Springs. He currently lives in Kansas City, where he plays music at Stuart Hall milonga.

Master Class

There are still some openings for the MASTER CLASS that will taught by Elina Roldan and Enriqueta Kleinman titled: ""DOS MIRADAS SOBRE EL TANGO SALON Y MILONGUERO" or "Two Looks at Tango Salon and Tango Milonguero". The class is for the advanced or master dancer and is limited to individuals that purchase a Festival pass.  A separate payment will be required.  For more information concerning the master class go to: http://chicagotangofestival.com/Masterclass.php

Private Lessons

Maria Olivera, Gustavo Benzecry, Elina Roldan, Ramiro Gigliotti, Ruben Harymbat, Enriqueta Kleinman, and Oscar Casas will be teaching private lessons during the Festival and during their stay. If you are interested in doing a private lesson with one of the instructors, please contact Ray Barbosa (chicagomilonguero at yahoo.com or 708-955-6040) or Jacqui Cahill (weebit100 at hotmail.com or 773-865-9523)

Milongas
There is still available a milonga pass for all 7 milongas this weekend, including the all-night milonga at Tango Chicago.

Priority with respect to entrance to the milongas will be give to attendees with a Festival pass. At the start of all of the milongas, Non Festival pass attendees will be admitted to the milongas after the Festival pass attendees are admitted.

Come join us at the 2009 Mini Tango Festival this weekend.  Wonderful instructors including: Ruben Harymbat, Enriqueta Kleinman , Gustavo Benzecry, Maria Olivera , Ramiro Gigliotti , Elina Roldan , and Oscar Casas.  Great Djs including: Vijay Namasivayam, Ko Tanaka, Ilene Marder, Paul Akmajian, and Oleh Kovalchuke.

We also have attendees from the following cities: Cedar Rapids, IA; Saugerties, NY;  Madison, WI; Burr Ridge, IL; Desplaines, IL; Sedona, AZ; Buffalo Grove, IL; Champaign, IL; Brookfield, WI; Denver, CO; Kansas City, MO; Deerfield, WI; Santa Clara, CA; Bloomington, MN; Bloomington, IN;  St. Louis, MO; Indianapolis, IN; Tucson, AZ; Minneapolis, MN; Grawn, MI; Traverse City, MI; Milwaukee, WI; New York City, NY; Hopkins, MN; Charlotte, NC; Evanston, IL; Canton, OH; Cincinatti, OH; Urbana, IL; Corrales, NM; Brooklyn, NY; Dekalb, IL; Scottsdale, AZ	;Wheaton, IL; College Park, MD; Bellevue, WA; Little Chute, WI; East Grand Rapids, MI; Dodgeville, WI; Warrenville, IL; Inver Grove Heights, MN; Mt. Pulaski, IL; Schaumburg, IL; Lennox, MA; New York, NY; Streamwood, IL; Portage, MI; Pittsburgh, PA; Washington, DC; Nashville, TN; Lake Forest, IL; State College, PA; Appleton, WI; Toms River, NJ; San Diego, CA; Oakland, NJ; Ford City, PA; Golden, CO; Lemont, IL;
 Shipman, VA; Northbrook, IL; Cicero, IL; and of course, Chicago, IL

If you have any questions during this weekend, please contact us at the Festival phone number: 312-401-0961. We are looking forward to seeing you this weekend.

Mucho abrazos

Ray Barbosa and Marco Mambelli

Organizers and contributors:
Chicago Milonguero, Ltd. and the Argentine Tango Club of the University of Chicago.
Chicago Dance Supply is the official Gold sponsor of the 2009 Chicago Mini Tango Festival