[Tango-A] na-c, na-w, na-e, sa: Pocho and Nely added to the Chicago Mini Tango Festival in April 2008

chicagomilonguero chicagomilonguero at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 08:18:43 EST 2008

It gives me great pleasure to announce that we are
adding Pocho and Nely to the 2008 Chicago Mini Tango
Festival to be held from April 18-20, 2008.

Roberto Carreras (“Pocho”) and Nelida Fernando
(“Nely”), milongueros (“dancers”) from the golden era
of tango, are from Buenos Aires, the city where they
live and dance.  Now in their seventies, Pocho and
Nely each have been dancing tango for nearly 60 years.

The tango that Pocho and Nely transmit is based upon
communication between dancers in a continuously close
embrace, musical interpretation and respectful
navigation on the dance floor.  Consequently, their
lessons concentrate on posture, leading and following,
and musicality as a source of creativity.  They focus
on improvisation as key to develop a dance that is fun
and enjoyable for the couple, while they can still
comfortably circulate in a limited space.

Pocho and Nely are among the few milongueros still
dancing and teaching who learned and danced during the
1940s Golden Age of Tango.  From the south of Buenos
Aires, they have lived their lives in hundreds of
milongas and, like a rolling stone, their dancing has
been losing imperfections through the years.  Their
dancing has achieved its unique naturalness and yet
continues to involve.

The clearness of Pocho's lead, the intimacy of his
embrace, the perfection of his movements and the
profound musicality of his steps has him regarded as
one of the best dancers in Buenos Aires.  Pocho
is revered by other portenos for his milonga con
traspie ("milonga with quick steps").  In his simple
movements, the common language of milongueros, Pocho
achieves an astonishing combination of precision
and softness. He also accomplishes complex, very
original steps with the same ease he surprises us with
in his simple movements. Nely, a fluid and wonderful
follower, exhibits profound musicality expertise. She
has the ability to correct instantly the errors in
her student's dance and also is an expert in technique
for women.  Together they exude a warmth and caring
for their students, as people and as dancers.

This, is Pocho and Nely’s first tour out of the South
America. Pocho and Nely will be teaching the Master
Classes “Secretos de Pocho y Nely (secrets of Pocho
and Nely). Registration in the master classes will be
restricted to advanced dancers; limited enrollment;
contact masterclass at chicagotangofestival.com before
registering.

To see a video of a performance go to:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ak2y84C-9Y

The instructors for the Chicago Mini Tango Festival
will now include Pocho and Nely, Silvina Valz and
Oliver Kolker (Buenos Aires), and Alicia Pons (Buenos
Aires). Djs include Robin Thomas from New York, Robert
Hauk from Portland and Ramji V from Ann Arbor.

A couple of quick updates:

Lodging
Please note that the lodging rates at the Ramada Inn
are only guaranteed until March 19, 2008. Alternatives
besides the Ramada Inn include the International House
at the University of Chicago. For more information on
lodging options, please go to:
http://www.chicagotangofestival.com/Lodging.php

Early Bird Discount
The Early Bird Discount will expire on March 31st. At
this point we are almost half-way filled for the
weekend festival passes.  This is a Mini Festival and
the festival passes will be closed as soon as we reach
our limits. For more information go to:
http://chicagotangofestival.com/Payment_Registration.php

Air Travel and Car Rental
With respect to air travel and car rentals we have
arranged for discounted airfares on American Airlines
to either Midway Airport (airport code: MDW) or Ohare
International Airport (airport code: ORD). We have
also arranged for discounted rentals on Avis car
rentals. For further details go to:
http://www.chicagotangofestival.com/Air_Travel_Car_Rental.php

Contact Information
For more information on the Chicago Mini Tango
Festival go to www.chicagotangofestival.com or contact
Ray Barbosa at info at chicagotangofestival.com

Please forward this email to your friends. If they
would like to subscribe to our mailing list, please
have them send an email to
info at chicagotangofestival.com or have them
subscribe to the Chicago Tango Festival yahoo website
at
ChicagoTangoFestival-subscribe at yahoogroups.com .

Looking forward to your joining us in April.

Thank you,

Ray Barbosa

Organizers and contributors: Chicago Milonguero, Ltd.
and the Argentine Tango Club of the University of
Chicago