[Tango-A] EU-W, EU-E: Unique Tango-In-The-Woods(tm) "tango retreat" with Brian & Deb - last-minute opportunity - please respond ASAP!

Brian Dunn brian at danceoftheheart.com
Thu Jun 19 12:43:20 EDT 2008

Dear Tango Aficionados,

We have a unique opportunity to offer you that just might be a good fit for
a couple already planning some relatively unscheduled tango-related travel
in Europe this summer.

For the last four years, Deb and I have been going to Scandinavia in the
summer for tango.  In 2004, while we were on our way to Finland to appear in
the (unbelievably huge!) Finnish Tango festival in Seinajoki, we performed
twice in Copenhagen at some of the popular milongas.  As a result, we were
invited to return for a week in the summer of 2005 to teach “in residence”
at a week-long “woodland retreat” held in a rented rural private secondary
school.  We were to offer a tango seminar to a group of up to twelve couples
who frequent the European tango scenes, especially in the Copenhagen/Malmo
area of Denmark and Sweden.

The initial “Tango-In-The-Woods” program in 2005 was met with such
enthusiasm that we committed on the spot to return the following year for a
follow-up seminar.  The same commitment was similarly extracted from us at
the end of the 2006 and 2007 programs.  The 2008 program will be held from
July 7-13.

This annual “tango retreat” has some unusual aspects.  First, it’s COUPLES
ONLY. The participant couples take turns cooking for the group in a
nicely-equipped school kitchen (and end up in friendly competition to see
who can prepare the most memorable meal for their fellow students!).
Because the setting is rural, but not completely isolated, it’s best suited
for those who enjoy unwinding and relaxing in pastoral settings with a
convivial group of fellow aficionados.  While most attendees are from
Scandinavia (primarily Denmark), students have come from the UK, Australia,
the Czech Republic, Poland, and France – but all “official” events are held
in English, a common second language in Northern Europe.

So, to the point – the program was sold out this year, but the organizer
received a last-minute cancellation.  Thus, if someone finds this kind of
opportunity appealing, there’s a VERY limited window of time where an
additional couple could be worked into the plan.  The cost is 480 Euros ,
which covers room, board, and instruction for the entire week.  The “board”
costs are an approximation of what most couples seem to spend to buy
supplies for their turn as cooks for the group.  There is an additional cost
for the “shared liquor locker”, with option not to participate – that
calculation will be made and paid for at the end of the stay.

As tango teachers, what we really appreciate about this annual pilgrimage
into the woods is the opportunity to consolidate our own tango explorations
over the previous year, and share it in a coherent and organized fashion
with an enthusiastic and fun group of dancers.

We’ve been big fans of the “extended seminar” concept of tango learning for
a long time:
– we’ve taken six of Gustavo Naveira and Giselle Anne’s 20-hour “Seminarios”
in Buenos Aires and elsewhere, and partnered with them to produce annual
two-week TangoEncuentro™ “artist-in-residence” programs in Boulder,
Colorado;
– we joined Mauricio Castro’s two-week “Tango Discovery” training program in
2004, and received the “Certified Trainer” credential from him; and
– following years of devoted study, we partnered with Luciana Valle to
produce sixteen of the acclaimed 25-hour TangoIntensivo™ sessions in Buenos
Aires, which sold out this year.
In our own “extended seminar” teaching, we gratefully acknowledge all we
have received from these teachers, and enhance the tango legacy drawn from
them with our own inspiration, analysis and investigation.

So, if your summer European travel plans are loose enough so you and a
partner might like to arrange to share this “tango retreat” time with us,
check out the website page at

http://www.danceoftheheart.com/tangointhewoods2008.htm

We would need a US$200 down payment to secure your spot, but we would really
like to discuss it with you first, so that everyone’s expectations are
properly formed!  Respond to this email or call us ASAP at 303-938-0716,
because the timing here is relatively short!

Brian Dunn (& Deb Sclar)
Dance of the Heart
775 Pleasant Street
Boulder, CO 80302 USA
303-938-0716
www.danceoftheheart.com
“Building a Better World, One Tango at a Time”