[Tango-A] NA-C:Meet in the Middle Plan B

Karen Whitesell kglass02 at centurytel.net
Sat Jul 12 13:58:52 EDT 2008

Hello, greetings from Mt Vernon, Missouri

I have a new plan for Meet in the Middle Sept 19-21, 2008.

Plan B:  better, best, beautiful, bitchen, beat the heat, beer-budgeted
bash.  Well you get the picture.

Plan B includes, free supervised practicas, free milongas, free tango in the
park, free air conditioning, free sleeping space ( if you don't snore, and
bring your bedding), and free ambiance that can't be beaten anywhere.

I already have volunteer, Mike Tennant of St Louis, offering to DJ and
perform at the park with Natalia.  I am hoping other area/regional teachers
will also offer their services for our little BIG party.

Jim Roberts of Kansas City wrote me:  I think it would be great to make the
Mt. Vernon thing a kind of Practica Grande!  Maybe you could challenge
people to each bring some little "trick" to share with the group.  This
could be a great alternative to the trend toward a "professional class of
tangueros."  At Stone Soup there was some talk about this issue.  Teachers
competing for attention with flashy, complex moves to attract students and
make everyone feel like they've always got another level of difficulty to
master.  I think a lot of teachers are afraid to emphasize the simple,
elegant, graceful and musical dance based on a good connection with a
partner.  It doesn't sell as well as flash.  Maybe your Mt. Vernon event
could pioneer a new style in tango festivals.

Thanks, Jim, I think we can do just that.

You still have to reserve a motel, get here, and buy a $50 meal ticket in
advance.  If you don't want to eat with us, donate 50 for the utilities.
Also bring cash for the ice cream truck and bar service.
Meal ticket includes 5 meals, snacks, and soft drinks.  If you are feeling
guilty about so much for so little, bring paper products, snacks, or
whatever you want, all will be appreciated.

Schedule:
Friday:  Sept 19 Early Bird Milonga 2-6 pm, dinner 7:00 pm, Milonga 9-12
midnight.

Saturday:  Brunch 10-12pm, Practica A 12-2 pm,  Ice cream truck 2:00 pm, 3-5
pm Practica B, 6-7 dinner, dancing in the park 8:00, Performance 9:00 pm.
Milonga back at Murray's till ???
Saturday all day is the "Not So Square Art Festival" going on all around the
square.  Rest your feet, buy art.  Also, Farmers Market going that day.

Sunday:  Brunch 10-12.  Practica C 12-2 pm, ice cream truck 2:00 pm,
Practica D 3-5, Dinner 6pm, Farewell Milonga 8-???

Motels:  Super 8 417-461-0230, $54.00, Comfort Inn 417-466-4511, $73, both,
plus tax.

Mail your $50 to
Karen Whitesell, 202 S Hickory, Mt Vernon MO 65712
417-471-1001
kglass02 at centurytel.net
www.thelearningdepot.com/murrays-1

One request:  Ladies, you must bring a partner, write, I might have single
men sign up.

Hope to see you here in a cool Sept 19-21.

Karen