[Tango-A] NA-E: Tango de los Muertos festival in Boston November 8-11

Tova Moreno tovamoreno at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 10:53:16 EDT 2007

Hello dancers,

Tango de los Muertos, November 8th -11th in Boston, is just a month and a half away.  We're preparing an awesome festival for you that will leave you delighted and moved!  The teachers, the dancing, the DJs, the costumes, the venue, the attention we're giving to details from hospitality to food to workshop balance -- all of it is intended to give you the most delicious festival experience ever.  Remember that Ezequiel Farfaro & Eugenia Parrilla, Diego Di Falco & Carolina Zokalski, Andres Amarilla & Meredith Klein, Ben Bogart y los Gatos Azules and our very own Monster Orchestra will all be there to entertain and inspire.

 We already have people registered from Canada, Europe and across the US!  If you aren't on the list yet, you still have 10 days left to purchase the Springstep Festival Pass and be entered into one of our exciting raffles.  In addition to getting all the workshops and milongas from November 9-11, purchasing the Festival Pass before October 1st enters you into a raffle to win a free pair of Comme il Faut shoes or a free private lesson with Ezequiel Farfaro.  It's a great deal, so don't wait!  If you want to take just a few workshops or ensure your entrance to the milongas, you have until October 15th to make your choices.  See the raffle information and register here: http://www.tangodelosmuertos.com/register.html

 If you'd like to stay close to the action, book your room right away at the Hyatt Place hotel. The Hyatt is offering a great discount to festival goers; $109 a night for up to 4 person occupancy. Space is limited and filling up quickly, and after October 8th, this special rate will not longer be available. Call 781-395-8500 and ask for the tango festival rate.

 Did we mention that Tango de los Muertos features costumed milongas? You're welcome to wear whatever you want all weekend, but if you want to dive into the spirit of the festival, then join us with the costume themes listed here:

 Thursday November 8 – The Navigation Milonga
 Good navigation is very important, particularly on a crowded dance floor. Bring some levity to the issue (and some attention to it!) by wearing signs or instruments relating to good helmsmanship. Or perhaps your profession -- real or imagined -- is dependent on geography, maps, and 'getting around' so you'll participate by wearing your work clothes...

 Friday November 9 – The Vertical Milonga
 Imagine that gravity stretches you both up and down (or just up!). Would your hair stand on end? What would happen to your clothes? Or, imagine that you're super chic and that the latest fashions coming out of Palermo in Buenos Aires (the fashion capital of the world, as everyone knows) are all showing bold vertical stripes. What else can you do but join the lengthwise party?

 Saturday November 10 – The Golden  Age Milonga (with pajamas after 1:00am)
 The Golden Age of tango is usually considered to be from about 1930 to 1945, so think glamourous, drapey, bias-cut evening gowns and dashing, dapper suits or tuxedos. Emulate Carlos Gardel and his leading ladies, or Rudolph Valentino, Joan Crawford, Mae West, and a host of others from the 1930s and early 1940s.
 Later in the night pretend you're ready to go home and sleep, but then feel the music pulling you back and stay dancing tango until dawn. The best part about this (well, besides how fun it is to see everyone dancing in their pajamas) is that when you get back home, or to the hotel, you can just fall into bed without additional preparation. Ahhhh...

 Sunday November 11 – Dia de los Muertos Milonga
 Are you Mexican or a skeleton? Dia de los Muertos, the day of the dead, is celebrated at the beginning of November each year in Mexico. It's rich, colorful imagery is a strong visual inspiration for Tango de los Muertos. For this milonga, dress in traditional Mexican garb, or wear your favorite fashion-forward skull and skeleton clothes. Viva los Muertos!
 (Pancho Villa, by the way, was supposedly a dancer of legendary stamina. Biographer John Reed claims Villa arrived late for an important battle, after an all-night dancing stint.)

 We hope to see you in Boston for Tango de los Muertos!

 Abrazos,
 Tova & Carlos
 MorenoTango
 www.TangoDeLosMuertos.com