[Tango-A] NA-C: Maximiliano Gluzman (BsAs) in St Louis Nov 16-18, 2007

Shaun Sellers sellers at me.wustl.edu
Tue Oct 23 22:50:08 EDT 2007

Maximiliano Gluzman (from Buenos Aires) returns to St Louis
Nov 16-18 for a weekend of workshops in milonguero style tango.

Workshop website:

  http://www.gatewaytango.org/workshop/

SCHEDULE

FRIDAY (Floored Studio, 3190 South Grand Boulevard, St Louis MO. 63118)

* 8-9.30 pm - Communication, Embrace, Walking Technique:
In this pre-milonga lesson we will do exercises that will allow us to
gain understanding of our partners bodies and of how to lead and follow
the movements we use in tango. By learning this technique, we will
focus more on enjoying the dance. We will apply this technique to
study the walk in close embrace social tango.

* 9.30 pm - 12.30 am - MILONGA

SATURDAY (Shaw's Gallery, 4065 Shaw Ave, St Louis MO. 63110)

* 1-2.30 pm - Ochos and Crosses:
We will analyze different types of ochos and crossings. The goal is
to enhance the quality, as well as the variety, of these essential
movements in tango. A special emphasis on communication and the axis
of the follower will be made.

* 2.45-4.15 pm - Direction Changes and Circulation:
We will work on different ways to gain consciousness of the space
in dancing. By doing this, we will transform the "obligation" of
respecting the others on the dance floor into a game of musicality
and improvisation.

* 4.30-6 pm - Sacada Technique:
The sacada is one of the preferred movements in all of the tango styles,
but should be done very precisely in order to make it enjoyable for the
follower. In this lesson we will analyze some sacadas that we will use
as a model for the technique of any other sacada.

SUNDAY (Shaw's Gallery, 4065 Shaw Ave, St Louis MO. 63110)

* 1 pm - Musicality:
We will work on paying attention to the richness of the music and
getting the most of it. The beat, the phrasing of the melody, and
the different atmospheres that the music gives us will be the inspiration
for our dancing. In this journey, we will work with the great orchestras
of the 1940s and analyze each one's style.

* 2.45 pm - Milonga:
Milonga is considered by the old milongueros as the easiest to dance,
but newcomers to tango usually feel frustrated with it. In this lesson
we are going to work with musicality and spatial movements to make a
milonga that will be at the same time beautiful and possible.

COST:

    * Friday - $15 (milonga included)
    * any one Sat-Sun class - $20
    * all 5 Sat-Sun classes - $85 (student discount 50%)

Classes are open to everyone. No partner need. Pre-registration
not necessary. Private lessons are still available.

Accommodations with local dancers available for visitors.

ABOUT MAXI:
Maxi is on of the top milongueros of the new generation in
Argentina. The tango that Maxi transmits is based upon
communication between dancers in a continuously close embrace,
musical interpretation and respectful navigation in the dance
floor. Consequently, his lessons are based on posture, leading
and following, and musicality as a source of creativity. He
focuses on improvisation as key to develop a dance that is fun
and enjoyable for the couple, while they can still comfortably
circulate in a limited space. Maximiliano travels
regularly to Europe & the USA to teach and perform.

Maximiliano Gluzman studied with the most renowned Argentine
teachers in this style: Susana Miller, Ana Maria Schapira,
Pedro 'Tete' Rusconi, Pocho y Neli, Ricardo Vidort and Jorge Kero.
After endless hours of practice in the milongas, he has also
embraced teaching as a main activity. He teaches at Susana Miller's
La Academia in Buenos Aires at all levels as well as with his
partner Milva Bernardi. Maximiliano is one of the organizers
of the International Milonguero Meeting that took place in
Buenos Aires in February 2007. Maxi also DJs at the milonga
El Beso in Buenos Aires

shaun
http://www.gatewaytango.org/workshop/