[Tango-A] NA-C: Maximiliano Gluzman workshop Nov 16-18 in St Louis

Shaun Sellers sellers at me.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 8 00:32:47 EST 2007

Pre-registration is not required for the tango workshop
with Maximiliano Gluzman. But we would appreciate
advance notice if you are interested in attending.
We are expecting several people from out of state,
so we would like to know if we have enough space
for the event.

Workshop website:
http://www.gatewaytango.org/workshop/

Maxi is one of the young, hot milongueros from
Buenos Aires that is redefining the meaning of
milonguero style - the body to body style danced
in the crowded milongas of downtown Buenos Aires.
He is an extremely popular teacher. This year his
schedule includes Chicago, Ann Arbor, Champaign-
Urbana, Portland, Seattle, DC, NYC, Memphis,
Minneapolis, Iowa City as well as several countries
in Europe. Maxi is one of the organizers of the
International Milonguero Meeting that took place
in Buenos Aires in February 2007. Maxi also DJs
at the renowned milonga El Beso in Buenos Aires.
We are fortunate to have him for a second visit
to St Louis this year. We will be especially
fortunate to hear him dj during the weekend.

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE

* FRIDAY (Floored Studio, 3190 South Grand Boulevard,
          St Louis MO. 63118)
o 8-9.30 pm - Communication, Embrace, Walking Technique:
In this pre-milonga lesson we will do exercises that
will allow us to gain understanding of our partners
bodies and of how to lead and follow the movements
we use in tango. By learning this technique, we will
focus more on enjoying the dance. We will apply this
technique to study the walk in close embrace social tango.

o 9.30 pm - 12.30 am - MILONGA

* SATURDAY (Shaw's Gallery, 4065 Shaw Ave, St Louis
            MO. 63110)
o 1-2.30 pm - Ochos and Crosses:
We will analyze different types of ochos and crossings.
The goal is to enhance the quality, as well as the
variety, of these essential movements in tango. A
special emphasis on communication and the axis of
the follower will be made.

o 2.45-4.15 pm - Direction Changes and Circulation:
We will work on different ways to gain consciousness
of the space in dancing. By doing this, we will
transform the "obligation" of respecting the others
on the dance floor into a game of musicality and
improvisation.

o 4.30-6 pm - Sacada Technique:
The sacada is one of the preferred movements in
all of the tango styles, but should be done
very precisely in order to make it enjoyable
for the follower. In this lesson we will analyze
some sacadas that we will use as a model for
the technique of any other sacada.

* SUNDAY (Shaw's Gallery, 4065 Shaw Ave, St Louis
           MO. 63110)
o 1 pm - Musicality:
We will work on paying attention to the richness
of the music and getting the most of it. The beat,
the phrasing of the melody, and the different
atmospheres that the music gives us will be the
inspiration for our dancing. In this journey,
we will work with the great orchestras of the
1940s and analyze each one's style.

o 2.45 pm - Milonga:
Milonga is considered by the old milongueros as
the easiest to dance, but newcomers to tango
usually feel frustrated with it. In this lesson
we are going to work with musicality and spatial
movements to make a milonga that will be at the
same time beautiful and possible.

COST:

 * Friday - $15 (milonga included)
 * any one Sat-Sun class - $20
 * all 5 Sat-Sun classes - $85 (student discount 50%)

Workshop website:
http://www.gatewaytango.org/workshop/

shaun