[Tango-A] MİSC: Public complaint against Burak Ozkosem as organizer

Meredith Klein meredithleeklein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:54:12 EDT 2007

Dear list,

I'm writing to ask that no one on this list support any of Burak
Ozkosem's events.  I am very sorry to have to do this, but I've run
out of options.  Andres Amarilla and I taught at Burak's TangoJoven
festival in early July 2007 and we still have not been paid, although
we fulfilled all the terms of our agreement.  Burak was obviously
pleased with our work as he immediately invited us back to teach at
the next TangoJoven festival.

Not only did we dedicate 5 days of work to Burak's festival, but we
put out money up front for our plane tickets--money that we still have
not been reimbursed 9 months later.

The initial check that Burak gave us bounced and despite at least 5
requests for payment, we have received nothing.  More than 2 months
ago, I emailed Burak to let him know that we were running out of
patience and would be forced to make our problem public through a
tango-L post if we did not receive prompt payment.  However, at this
point, nearly 9 months after the end of the festival, we still have
not received any payment.

I am very concerned because Burak has some ambitious plans as an
organizer in the next few months--another tango festival, this time
featuring Julio & Corina and Tanghetto, as well as workshops with
Fabian & Carolina.  If he truly doesn't have the money to pay us, as
he claims, it seems very likely that he will not have the funds to
fulfil his obligations to these other performers and teachers.  And
for us, it is truly a slap in the face to see that he is planning
events on such a scale when he has yet to pay us monies that he has
owed us for three-quarters of a year.

I apologize again for the post.  I will be sure to post to the list
right away when we finally receive payment to let everyone know that
the problem is resolved and to withdraw my request that list members
not support Burak's events.  Meanwhile, if the payment remains
outstanding, we will contact Julio & Corina, Tanghetto and Fabian &
Carolina to let them know about our experience.

Sincerely,

Meredith Klein
meredithklein at gmail.com
http://andresamarilla.com