[Tango-A] SA: Apartment rentals in Buenos Aires

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sat Dec 15 21:51:27 EST 2007

There are many temporary rental apartments in Buenos Aires.  The number of
websites with rentals is growing rapidly.  Over the years, I have made
recommendations when I know both the apartment and the neighborhood.  The
best apartments are those with repeat guests, like a woman from California
who has two six-week time slots for the same apartment every year.  I make a
point of visiting apartments that friends have rented for future reference.

Ask others who have gone to Buenos Aires where they stayed and whether or
not they were satisfied with the accommodations.  Many look better in photos
than they do in person.

Check websites for photos and amenities included in the rental.  The tango
magazines published in Buenos Aires contain advertisements of apartments for
tango visitors.  The Guia Trimestral contains a listing of lodging
especially for tango dancers.  Check out the location and apartment before
you rent.

I heard recently about an apartment downtown in the business district.  The
rental was very reasonable, but the bank building next door had the
air-conditioning running 24 hours a day, so the guests weren't able to get
much sleep with the walls shaking.  They asked the agency for another
apartment, but had already paid the rent for a month.

An apartment on Corrientes may sound like a good location to be downtown,
but only if you don't mind the noise from traffic all day long not to
mention the air pollution.

Your schedule for tango will mean that you will probably sleep until
afternoon.  An apartment in the back of the building is recommended where
you won't hear the traffic noise.

Apartments in Buenos Aires are usually smaller than standard apartments in
the USA.  An apartment of 57m2 for five people is cramped quarters unless
you don't mind living in a dormitory environment with close friends.  I own
a 47m2 apartment and live alone.  There is enough room for me and my cat.

An apartment walking distance to milongas and the theater district may sound
like a good place to stay, but unless you are used to the noise and
pollution of a major city, you will want to think twice about staying on a
busy street with bus lines going 24 hours a day.  Keeping the windows closed
doesn't help the noise level when you want to sleep.

A friend of mine is here for 12 days in Palermo renting an apartment for
$400usd ($33 per day).  It is located in a nice residential area.  She
rented it through the Internet.

I used to recommend several guest houses, but I regret to report that while
their rates are rising, the quality is not being maintained.  Apartments in
nice neighborhoods are going for the same price as a small room with shared
bath in a guest house.