[Tango-A] 2007 Chicago Mini Tango Festival April 20-22, 2007

chicagomilonguero chicagomilonguero at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 20:37:51 EDT 2007

2007 Chicago Mini Tango Festival – April 20-22, 2007

  The 2007 Chicago Mini Tango Festival will start next Friday, April 20th.  We are delighted to have as the main instructors Tete and Silvia, Oscar and Mary and Casas, and Maximiliano Gluzman and Milva Bernardi.  Ernest Williams will teach a Canyengue class on Sunday, and we have added a Chacarera class on Saturday evening that will be taught by Daniel Noce and Ramon Nita, and Timmy and Joanne Pogros.  Timmy and Joanne Pogros will also teach free beginner classes Friday afternoon and Saturday morning for the non-tango dancer.

  The main djs for our festival are Robert Hauk, Silvia Ceriani and Somer Surgit. The Friday evening milonga, Robert Hauk will dj. In addition, “Alma de Tango Quartet” will perform at the Friday milonga.  “Alma de Tango” is directed by Gerardo Perez and it consists of Gerardo on the bandeneon, Mary Martell on piano, Mark Sonsen on bass, and Victoria Moreira on violin.  Silvia Ceriani, who djs at Salon Canning in Buenos Aires, will dj at Saturday night Argentina night milonga.  Somer Surgit will dj the closing milonga on Sunday evening.  Special dance performances will occur at the Friday and Saturday milongas.

  We will also have Tom Barnard of Chicago djing the Friday afternoon milonga.  Kathleen (“The Tango Diva”) Ahearn of Tampa/Chicago will be djing on Saturday afternoon milonga.  We have added a special “Eye Opener” Milonga on Sunday morning that will be djed by Christopher Everett of Minneapolis/Iowa.  We suggest early arrival to the evening milongas because we have a limited capacity. For more information go to http://www.chicagotangofestival.com/Schedule.php .

  Don’t forget that Kathleen Ahearn, (www.diva-boutique.com), will bring to the festival her huge collection of the fabulous Comme il Faut tango shoes, along with other designers, low-heel shoes, practice shoes, dance sneakers and men's shoes!  Pat Pitula of Chicago will be selling Tango Art and wine labels. Genevieve Davis, of Lady of the Lake Studio from the wilds of Wisconsin, will be selling handmade gold, silver and gemstone jewelry that she designs. Svetlana Milshteyn, of Chicago, will be selling Beigo original designer hand bags and accessories (www.beijobags.com).  Kelly Custer of Iowa and Chicago will be giving massages so you can make it through the entire festival. Finally, Jill Marie Whitmore of Milwaukee will be doing tarot card reading.

   Please make sure to contact us before registering for the festival to make sure that the space is available.  When you register for the festival, please make sure to indicate your level of dance (beginner, intermediate, advanced) and also indicate which workshops you intend to attend.   This will greatly help us with our planning.    The link for registration is (http://chicagotangofestival.com/Payment_Registration.php )

  Most of the teachers will be giving privates before, during, and after the festival.  If you are interested in booking a private please let us know as soon as possible by emailing lessons at chicagotangofestival.com .

  We are also planning some pre and post festival classes. We will have pre-festival classes on Thursday, April 19 at Mariposa (http://www.mariposachicago.com) with Oscar & Mary Ann Casas, and with Maxi Gluzman & Milva Bernardi.  Kathleen Ahearn of Diva Boutique will also be at Mariposa on April 19th selling her shoes.

   We will also have 5 weeks of classes with Tete and Silvia through the end of May. The weekly classes will start on Wednesday April 25th, at Barba Yianni (http://www.barbayianni.com) and they will start on Thursday, April 26th, at Mariposa.

  Over 50% of the registered participants in the festival are from out of town.  If there are individuals in the Chicagoland area who are willing to house an out of town guest please let us know by emailing us at lodging at chicagotangofestival.com

  We have made special arrangements with American Airlines for discounted air travel to Chicago. To obtain the discount for either domestic or international travel to Chicago between April 13 and May 13, call the American Airlines Meeting Services Desk at 1-800-433-1790 and refer to Autorization Number A9947AV under the group name Chicago Tango Festival.  For Special Car Rental Discounts with Avis, call 1-800-228-43331-1600 and reference a new reference number: Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) Number D757308; or go to the following link http://tinyurl.com/ypjatw  to register online. Avis will provide discounts from 5 to 25%.

  For more information on the Chicago Mini Tango Festival go to www.chicagotangofestival.com  or contact Ray Barbosa at  info at chicagotangofestival.com  or at 708-955-6040.   During the festival you can also contact Phoebe Grant at 773-260-2595 if you have any questions, need directions, etc.

  We look forward to seeing you next weekend in Chicago.

  Ray Barbosa and Marco Mambelli

  P.S. We have a number of interesting articles (navigation, etiquette, cabeceo, etc.) on the website that will be helpful to read, prior to the festival: http://www.chicagotangofestival.com/Links.php

  "Tango can be danced in a thousand different ways, but lets step on the ground first, because that is where the energy comes from. Therefore this is where we ought to dance to the music. Without the music there is no dance, no tango, no teacher, no student. A true teacher can only transmit the teaching the music has left him"  Tete (Pedro Rusconi)