[Tango-A] NA-E, NA-C: El Pulpo & Luiza Sept. 7-12 in Pittsburgh

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 4 20:26:22 EDT 2006

"The improvisation is me at the present moment.  And in the
present moment there's only me and my dance partner.  What
dance is more true to what one feels?...I fly listening to
melodies.  I inspire myself all the time in the melody...It
gives you an endless freedom, something that to me is
fundamental in my dance.  My dance expresses the freedom I
have inside and the music has to inspire freedom." –
Norbert Esbrez

Milonga Highlights
------------------
Friday Welcome Milonga
- with a French twist!
- DJ Greg Messina

Saturday “Double-Decker” Milonga
- Traditional Music with local DJ Rob Clark
- Alternative Music with DJ James Freed of Ann Arbor

NORBERTO "EL PULPO" ESBREZ of Buenos Aires is the third
generation of tangueros in his family (grandfather and
father were both bandoneon players).  For almost two
decades Norberto has devoted himself to tango, developing a
very spontaneous and playful style. The fluidity of his
style and complexity of legwork with ganchos, sacadas, and
enganches has earned him the nickname "El Pulpo" (the
Octopus) at the milongas.  Known all over the world as "The
King of Ganchos", he is constantly discovering and adding
new movements to the tango vocabulary such as: enganches,
enredadas, suspensión, the ocho "loco", cruces con cambio
de peso and other figures that he hasn´t named yet. Today
he is considered the most creative of the tango dancers.

LUIZA PAES, his partner, has studied music since she was
age six, eventually working professionally in musical
education and vocal technique. In 1998 she began to study
and dance tango with Norberto, eventually becoming his
partner. She works on technique and musicality for all
levels emphasizing the leader and follower's role,
improvisation, and adapting a dancer’s personal talents to
follow different styles.  She is also fluent in five
languages.

More on Norberto & Luiza can be found at
http://www.pulpostango.com.ar/

For Norbert’s & Luiza’s personal thoughts, check out Jackie
Wong’s interview with them at
http://www.tangopulse.net/id201.htm

MILONGA SCHEDULE
================

WELCOME MILONGA
---------------
9:30pm-12:30am+, Sept. 8
DJ Greg Messina
Ooh la la!  It’s French night!
Church of the Redeemer
$5 (Free with Friday workshop)

DOUBLE-DECKER MILONGA
---------------------
Traditional Milonga
9:30pm-1:00am, Rob’s Apartment (2nd floor)
DJ Rob Clark

Alternative Milonga
10:30pm-2:00am, Joachim’s Apartment (3rd floor)
DJ James Freed

$10
Location: 3519 Butler Street (Butler & 35th St)
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=3519+Butler+St&csz=15201&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=
Use the R. Clark buzzer

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
=================

Friday, Sept. 8 (Church of the Redeemer)
7:30-8:00pm  Registration
8:00-9:30pm  1. Fundamentals for Pulpo’s style (Beg/Int).
Includes the Welcome Milonga.

Saturday, Sept. 9 (Wilkins School)
----------------------------------
Noon-12:30pm Registration
12:30-2:00pm 2. Legwork I:  Technique (Int)
2:15-3:45pm 3. Legwork II:  Sacadas, Ganchos, Enganches
(Int)
4:00-5:30pm 4. Contact and Suspension (Int/Adv)

Sunday, Sept. 10 (Church of the Redeemer)
1:00-1:30pm Registration
1:30-3:00pm 5. Continuous & Turning Ganchos (Int/Adv)
3:30-5:00pm 6. Advanced Combinations with Ganchos (Adv).
Participation in Continuous & Turning Ganchos workshop
required.  Note:  This class will be geared toward advanced
dancers only.

Workshop Cost
-------------
1 class...$25
2 classes...$45
3 classes...$65
4 classes...$80
5 classes...$95
All classes...$110
All classes & milonga...$115
Traveler’s Discount (if traveling 100+ miles)...10% off
Host Discount...10% off per guest taking workshops

PRIVATE LESSONS
===============
Available Thurs, Sept. 9 thru Tues, Sept. 12.

El Pulpo and/or Luiza (couples only)
1 hour...$100
2 hours...$160
3 hours...$210

Luiza only (singles or couples)
1 hour...$80
2 hours...$150
3 hours...$210
4 hours...$270

To schedule call Trini at 412-521-1476 or email
patangos at yahoo.com.  Room rent of $15, if applicable.

LOCATION INFORMATION
====================

Church of the Redeemer
----------------------
5700 Forbes Ave
http://www.redeemerpittsburgh.org/red_directions.htm

Wilkins School & Community Center
---------------------------------
7604 Charleston Ave
WSCC is located off Exit 7 (Edgewood/Swissvale) of I-376.
Travel towards Edgewood on S. Braddock Avenue. Turn left
onto Sanders Avenue. Turn left onto Milton Avenue (1
block).

Rob & Joachim’s Building
------------------------
3519 Butler Street
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=3519+Butler+St&csz=15201&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

REGISTRATION
Register at the door or by PayPal (credit cards accepted).
Send PayPal payments to seancosgrove66 at yahoo.com by Sept.
7.  Checks made payable to Trinidad Regaspi.

For any questions, contact us at 412-521-1476 or email
patangos at yahoo.com.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm