[Tango-A] MISC: CAUTION!!! New(?) Tango Teacher Scam

Clay Nelson tango at claysdancestudio.com
Sun Jun 18 10:52:28 EDT 2006

I, and several tango teachers I know have received emails
requesting us to give this guy's son 2 weeks of tango
lessons when his son visits the U.S.  After agreeing on a
price, I received a cashiers check sent from England but
written on a U.S. Credit Union for $2000 more then the
agreed upon price.

The check was phony and I didn't deposit it.  It was easy to
verify by calling the Credit Union and giving them the
number on the check. (BTW, all cashier's check are supposed
to have the phone number of the issuing bank on the check.
This one didn't and I had to call information.)  In any
case, the idea was that I would deposit it and send the
excess back to his associate for some bogus reason.  Be
aware that a cashier's check can take 4-6 weeks to clear (or
be returned) and if I had done as requested, I would have
been out the money.

Please let everyone know about this scam so that none of our
dance teacher friends get taken in by it....thanks...

Clay Nelson
333 High St, Ashland, OR 97520
Home Phone (541) 488-7108 -  [Cell (206) 972-0728]
tango at claysdancestudio.com  -  www.claysdancestudio.com