[Tango-A] NA-E: In NYC $100 prize for Contest Aug 13!

Lucille Krasne lukrasne at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 14:41:33 EDT 2006

At ESMERALDA¹S TANGO AND TAPAS, the Sunday after this--on AUGUST, 13

I am holding a contest (based on a fascinating suggestion by a friend of
Esmerada's)---kind of a wild and wooly new idea so please read this and I do
hope some of you very inventive dancers will want to enter‹whether man or
woman.  It should be fascinating and fun.

The whole issue of creativity and individuality of the tango is intriguing
and has much to say about the nature of this dance we love--and a good
reason we love it.  Rebecca Shulman told me the following story: She said
she dances with someone she really enjoys and he recounted to her his
experience when his maestro asked him to repeat what he had learned in his
last lesson,  which her friend did perfectly.  The maestro then said that
that was terrible and said he wanted 5 variations of what he had shown!!!!!

As milongueros in BsAs frown upon anyone ³stealing² the steps of his
maestro, or I guess, any steps already identified as the creation of a known
milonguero, with this ethic in mind, read on!

Lucille

$100 Cash Prize to
The Winning Dance Contestant in a
New Kind of Tango "Creativity Contest"

DATE: Sunday, August 13, 2006

PLACE: ESMERALDA'S MILONGA / Sessions 73
(Corner of  73rd and First Avenue)

TIME: 9:30pm

A mysterious tango aficionado is offering a $100 cash prize to the winner of
ESMERALDA's new INVENTIVE TANGO STEPS COMPETITION. Anyone is welcome to
compete -- professional or non-professional, man or woman.

The prize will be awarded not necessarily to the *best* dancer, but to the
dancer who creates the most original, exciting, and lead-able tango step.
The word *lead-able* is crucial!  THIS IS ABOUT DANCE IN A SALON SETTING!*

Several women who are excellent followers will be provided by ESMERALDA and
randomly assigned to the contestants.
Each contestant will perform his or her moves twice.

The same music will be used for all contestants. Yesim will d.j.

The ³judges² are you, the whole audience-- by secret ballot and the cash
prize will be awarded on the spot for instant gratification!

Not only "fun" -- but a Tango "first"

The new steps will be videotaped and the videos will go to all the
participants. The winner¹s steps will also be named after their creator. So
in addition to the prize money, there will be ... FAME ... GLORY ...
IMMORTALITY!!!!!!

Remember -- August 13, 2006, at ESMERALDA¹s TANGO and TAPAS / Sessions 73
(corner of 1st Avenue and 73rd Street).

Session73¹s door open at 5:30. Come early to warm up the floor, and eat a
bite and drink in the café or at the bar.
Beginner class (w/ Jean Fung) 6"30, and intermediate ³milonga for folks who
hate the milonga² classes (w/Yesim) 6-7:30 go on as usual.

I hope some of you extremely clever dancers---men or women--will give this
idea a try.  We will see what happens!!

Lucille

Lucille Krasne
212 777 6053