[StarCluster] how does the loadbalancer know how much to bid for a node

Rajat Banerjee rajatb at post.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 31 13:15:13 EDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------

> From: Bruce Hoff <bruce.hoff at sagebase.org>
> To: starcluster at mit.edu
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:46:11 -0700
> Subject: [StarCluster] how does the loadbalancer know how much to bid for
> a node
> Hi:
> When using spot instances and the load balancer, how the load balancer
> decide how much to bid when adding a new node?
> Thanks,
> Bruce Hoff
> Sage Bionetworks

Hi Bruce,
The loadbalancer uses cluster.add_nodes to add new nodes. I remember from
testing that it used to use the same price that you set for bids when the
cluster was created. Things have changed, but it looks like (in cluster.py)
add_nodes still uses the bid price that you specified when creating the
cluster.

The source is in:
https://github.com/jtriley/StarCluster/blob/develop/starcluster/cluster.py,
search for add_nodes