[StarCluster] Terminating a cluster does not remove its security group (UNCLASSIFIED)

Oppe, Thomas C ERDC-RDE-ITL-MS Contractor Thomas.C.Oppe at erdc.dren.mil
Fri Dec 7 02:15:17 EST 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

Dear Sir:

I have noticed that when I try to start up a cluster with the same name that was used before, the "startcluster start" command errors out with some message about there not being a "master" node to run plugins or something to that effect.  So I choose a new name for the cluster and all works fine with the new name.  I think the problem is that "starcluster terminate" doesn't completely remove all remnants of the cluster.  I did "starcluster listclusters" and saw all these defunct clusters that were terminated a long time ago.  The solution was to delete the "Security Group" associated with each terminated cluster.  Once the security group is deleted, you can use that cluster's name again in future "starcluster start" commands.  At least I think so.

Tom Oppe