[StarCluster] starcluster start error

Justin Riley jtriley at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 4 13:19:15 EDT 2010

  On 11/4/10 1:04 PM, Hui Zhao wrote:
> Why does it complain it's
> invalid?
Hmmm, do yo have quotes around the settings (ie AWS_ACCESS_KEY="myid") ?
If so, remove them. Also, are you sure you haven't mixed up your access
key and secret access key in the config? Perhaps you need to swap them.
> For the keypair, that is the one with .pem extension, right?
Well, maybe. Do you recall explicitly creating a new keypair? You do not
automatically get a keypair when you first create an AWS/EC2 account.
You must explicitly create a new keypair either using the AWS Management
Console or running the EC2 command line tool "ec2-add-keypair". The EC2
Getting Started Guide runs you through this. If you don't recall doing
this at some point then the *.pem file(s) you are referring to are
likely your EC2 certificate and private certificate files for your AWS
account which are not the same.

I would recommend logging into the AWS Management Console and checking
to see if you have any keypairs listed. I believe you can download your
existing keys (if any) from the management console as well. If you don't
have any keypairs, it's easy to create a new one and the management
console will prompt you to download the key file. You should then use
the location you download the keypair file to as key_location in a [key]
section. Does that make sense?

~Justin