[Starcluster] starcluster fails to mount /home with NFS

Gabriel Hoffman gh258 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 15 16:56:57 EDT 2010

I am using starcluster to launch 3 c1.xlarge instances using
ami-a19e71c8.  starcluster -s works fine and does not generate any
errors and my EBS is correctly mounted on /home in the master.  My
problem is that starcluster does not correctly mount this on the nodes
using NFS.  When I try to mount manually, I get the following error:

root at domU-12-31-39-0F-6D-D1:/home# mount /home
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server
'domU-12-31-39-0F-6C-F1.compute-1.internal' failed: RPC Error: Program
not registered

This also fails with m1.large and ami-a19e71c8.  However, the NFS works
fine when I use m1.small instances with ami-8f9e71e6.

Any ideas about how to get starcluster to use NFS correctly with c1.xlarge?

Here is my .starclustercfg:

[section aws]

---

[section ssh]

---

[section cluster]

# cluster size
CLUSTER_SIZE = 3

# create the following user on the cluster
CLUSTER_USER = sgeadmin

# optionally specify shell (defaults to bash)
CLUSTER_SHELL = bash

# AMI for master node. Defaults to NODE_IMAGE_ID if not specified
# The base i386 StarCluster AMI is ami-8f9e71e6
# The base x86_64 StarCluster AMI is ami-a19e71c8
MASTER_IMAGE_ID = ami-a19e71c8

# AMI for worker nodes. Also used for the master node if MASTER_IMAGE_ID
is not specified
# The base i386 StarCluster AMI is ami-8f9e71e6
# The base x86_64 StarCluster AMI is ami-a19e71c8
NODE_IMAGE_ID = ami-a19e71c8

# instance type
INSTANCE_TYPE = c1.xlarge

# availability zone
AVAILABILITY_ZONE = us-east-1a

[section ebs]

# NOTE: this section is optional, uncomment to use
# attach volume to /home on master node

ATTACH_VOLUME = vol-598b2130

VOLUME_DEVICE = /dev/sdj

VOLUME_PARTITION = /dev/sdj1