[Sci-tech-public] MIT Seminar on Environmental and Agricultural History, FRIDAY 11-16-07

Margo Collett mcollett at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 15 09:29:23 EST 2007

MIT Seminar on Environmental and Agricultural History

“How Sick Was My Valley:  A History of Bodies,
Ecologies, and Knowledge in California’s Rural Landscape”

Linda Nash
Associate Professor of History, University of Washington

Medicine­the practices of understanding, curing,
and preventing disease­has been central to our
relationship with rural spaces.  In the
nineteenth century, it was assumed that sickness
sprang from place, yet in the twentieth it would
become almost impossible to connect the
two.  Nineteenth-century settlers debated the
health costs of irrigation and tree cutting,
while in the twentieth century organic pesticides
were introduced on a massive scale with little
discussion of their potential health
effects.  How did it become possible to
understand disease and health as states that are
fully independent of the landscape?  What are the
history and the social implications of any particular view of disease?

Friday, November 16, 2007
2:30 to 4:30 pm
Building E51 Room 095
Corner of Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge

Sponsored by MIT’s History Faculty and the
Program in Science, Technology, and Society. For
more information or to be put on the mailing
list, please contact Margo Collett at
<mailto:mcollet at mit.edu>mcollett at mit.edu.