BPM: Responding to external stimuli

Mike Pokraka wug at workflowconnections.com
Mon Feb 28 06:32:15 EST 2011

Hi Andy,

I am surprised at the reactions you got, as this is certainly not a novel
construct. As we all know it's been around in SAP Workflow from way back
when.

In fact, this type of event-driven nature is one of the strengths of the
BPMN standard upon which NetWeaver BPM is based; this is one area where
UML falls short (and possibly why your colleagues are not familiar with
it?). I haven't delved deep enough into NWBPM to know on a practical
level, but if we step back from anything SAP for a moment then modelling
an exception such as you describe using BPMN is simply a message from a
party external to the process that is caught and handled as appropriate.
You could either have a parallel branch or you could make the entire
process segment which depends on the event a subprocess with an exception.
Exact details depend on the modelling software you use.

A slight twist to the story is that the message sender could be a party
that also participates in the process and thus fulfils multiple roles both
internal and external to the process. i.e. in BPMN terms they would appear
as a lane and a pool.

Hope that helps,
Mike