Why are 'exporting' parameters NOT passed back from an OO method to the workflow?

Paul.Bakker@osr.treasury.qld.gov.au Paul.Bakker at osr.treasury.qld.gov.au
Wed Mar 11 02:26:52 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a simple question:

   Why are 'exporting' parameters NOT passed back from an OO method call to
the workflow?

We have this setup:

A custom OO method exports table ET_MESSAGES -> binds to Task container  ->
binds to Workflow container

The problem: the method is populating ET_MESSAGES, but it
is NOT being passed back to the task (or the workflow). So the workflow log
cannot tell us whether the method succeeded or not.

In debug I found out the reason why. The SAP function module
SWF_UTL_INVOKE_CLIF_METHOD seems to be checking all method
parameters, and passing back only those that are of type
'RETURNING'.

Whereas my parameter ET_MESSAGES is of type 'EXPORTING'.

When I change it to 'RETURNING', it works.

Is this a bug or a feature? Or am I doing something wrong??

thanks in advance!
Paul

(PS We're on ECC 6.0. I have searched OSS and WUG but found nothing. SDN is
down.)

Only an individual or entity who is intended to be a recipient of this e-mail may access or use the information contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments.  Opinions contained in this e-mail or any of its attachments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Queensland Treasury.

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged and the subject of copyright.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Queensland Treasury immediately and erase all copies of the e-mail and the attachments.  Queensland Treasury uses virus scanning software.  However, it is not liable for viruses present in this e-mail or in any attachment.