SRM 5.0 - Lesson Learned

Susan R. Keohan keohan at ll.mit.edu
Mon Oct 16 15:17:33 EDT 2006

All,

We are on SRM 5.0, developing custom workflows,but based on the N-step
BADI workflows as a model.  We had copied the N-step BADI workflows to
customer versions, and then applied changes as necessary to incorporate
all our own routing requirements.

In the PO workflow, we noticed that on one level of approval, even if
one of the selected agents processed the PO, the workflow log showed the
workitem as 'forwarded'... and the workitem was still awaiting
processing.  Some hours and hours of debugging followed, to little, or
no avail.  Various tricks, such as using BBP_WFL_TRACE provided
interesting, but basically useless, information.

Long story short, we overlooked a feature in the N-Step BADI workflows.
  At the workflow definition header-level, where the container elements
are defined, the SAP-delivered workflows have a container element
'Subworkflow Number', with an initial value set (for example,
WS14000145).  When we copied the workflows over, these initial values
came along.  When we deleted this initial value, the workflow no longer
mis-behaved.

I am sure someone with a deeper knowledge of SRM/WF can explain why this
is so.  For now, I am just happy that the issue is resolved.

Happy WF-ing.
Sue
--
Susan R. Keohan