Dynamic column sorting in SBWP

mikko.maki-rahkola@accenture.com mikko.maki-rahkola at accenture.com
Wed Feb 9 02:33:59 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

I received a question a while ago about how to sort dynamic columns containing dates properly in SBWP but was unable to solve it. Hopefully some of you could help me out..

As an example, we have a document approval task including document due date (data type BKPF-BUDAT) as a container element which is assigned to a dynamic column. The person who asked me the question is trying to sort the work items in SBWP by the due date dynamic column, but runs into a strange result. Instead of sorting the items in correct order (02-Jan-2005 followed by 01-Feb-2005), the items are sorted character-wise (01-Feb-2005 -> 02-Jan-2005).

Do you know if there's something that can be done to make the sort function as required? I doubt it because my guess is that the BUDAT-type date value is converted into a plain string somewhere in the process and thus it can't be sorted by date any more in SBWP. But if any of you have found a way to overcome this, please let me know about it.

Thanks for your help!
-Mikko