[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Wed 2/15, 2:00, 6c-442, Stephen Jordan

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Mon Feb 13 22:47:11 EST 2012

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Wednesday 2/15 at 2:00 in 6c-442

Stephen Jordan (NIST)

Quantum Algorithms for Quantum Field Theories

Abstract:

The study of quantum computation began with Feynman's observation that certain quantum systems require exponential time to simulate on conventional computers. This suggested that quantum mechanical systems are exponentially more computationally powerful than classical systems. This suggestion has been borne out by the subsequent discovery of exponential quantum speedups for several computational problems, most famously factoring. In this talk, I will address a natural follow-up question to Feynman's original observation: can quantum computers efficiently simulate quantum field theories? Specifically, I will present my recent joint work with Keith Lee and John Preskill showing that quantum computers can, in polynomial time, approximate scattering probabilities in phi-fourth theory. In the regimes of strong coupling or high precision, this constitutes an exponential speedup over classical algorithms. In addition, I will discuss our ongoing efforts to extend our simulation metho
 ds to the full Standard Model in order to show that, neglecting gravity, the computational power of our universe is equivalent to that of a quantum Turing machine. Prior knowledge of quantum algorithms will not be assumed.