[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Mon 12/6, 4:00, 36-428, Rafail Ostrovsky

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Fri Dec 3 11:35:37 EST 2010

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Monday 12/6 at 4:00 in 36-428

Rafail Ostrovsky (UCLA)

POSITION-BASED CRYPTOGRAPHY: CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM

Abstract:

 In this talk, I'll describe position-based cryptography in the classical and in the quantum world. The aim is to use the geographical position of a party as its only credential. On the negative side, we show that there are very strong impossibility results in both worlds, with interesting consequences for one-round distributed quantum computation.  On the positive side, we show that if adversaries do not share entangled quantum state but can compute arbitrary quantum operations, secure position-verification is achievable. In models where secure positioning is achievable, it has a number of interesting applications. For example, it enables secure communication over an insecure channel without having any pre-shared key, with the guarantee that only a party at a specific location can learn the content of the conversation. More generally, we show that in settings where secure position-verification is achievable, other position-based cryptographic schemes are possible as well, su
 ch as secure position-based authentication and position-based key agreement. The talk will be self-contained and accessible to the general audience.  The talk is based on two papers: http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.2490   http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rafail/PUBLIC/102.pdf