[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Mon 4/12, 4:30, 36-428, Harrow,Aram

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Thu Apr 8 10:53:49 EDT 2010

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Monday 4/12 at 4:30 in 36-428

 Harrow,Aram (University of Bristol)

Pure-state entanglement is easy to detect; therefore mixed-state entanglement is hard to detect.

Abstract:

Given two copies of a n-system pure state psi, there a natural (even canonical) test that can estimate whether psi is product across all n systems or far from product.  Our main technical result is an improved analysis of this test that achieves performance independent of the number of subsystems or their dimension.  I'll describe applications to information theory and quantum proof systems (aka QMA(2)).  These latter results will imply new hardness results for several problems, including finding the ground-state energy in the mean-field approximation and (as promised in the title) identifying the set of separable states up to constant accuracy.  Based on 1001.0017, which is joint work with Ashley Montanaro.