[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Mon 3/15, 4:30, 36-462, Matthew Hastings

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Thu Mar 11 04:55:51 EST 2010

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Monday 3/15 at 4:30 in 36-462

Matthew Hastings (Microsoft Research)

Stability of Topological Quantum Order Under Local Perturbations

Abstract:

Hamiltonians such as the toric code and Levin-Wen models have many nice features: the ground state can be written down exactly, the system is gapped, and, perhaps most importantly, the low-lying states have topological properties useful for computation.  However, what happens if we consider weak perturbations of these Hamiltonians?  I will discuss recent work proving stability of topological quantum order in such Hamiltonians against weak perturbations.  This will be a blackboard talk, aimed at motivating the problem, explaining the technical statement of what we proved, and giving some idea of the techniques involved.