[QIP-Sem] QIP seminar, Mon 2/8, 4:30, 36-462, Gurvits,Leonid

Peter Shor shor at math.mit.edu
Thu Feb 4 06:39:09 EST 2010

MIT Quantum Information Processing seminar
Monday 2/8 at 4:30 in 36-462

 Gurvits,Leonid (LANL)

Augustin-Louis Cauchy, quantum linear optics (the Fock space) and  the permanent

Abstract:

After making some historical remarks, I will first focus on classical randomized algorithm(s) for the additive approximation of the permanent, which came after the corresponding quantum linear optical algorithms. In the second part of the talk, I will discuss the relative approximation of the permanent of PSD matrices.  Quantum linear optical as well classical approaches will be presented. Rigorous results will be clearly separated from some speculations.